I - RUTH

The problem with having short legs was that Ruth always had to be running after everyone. And there were few things she hated more than running. People didn't even do it on purpose, they just didn't realize what an effort it was for her to keep up. 

She was out of breath by the time she finally managed to fall into step besides Scott and Stiles. "I don't even know if I'm team captain anymore," Scott was saying as  they approached the bleachers around the lacrosse field behind their school.

"Of course you're still team captain." Stiles explained, like he was explaining a math problem. "You got your grades up just like Coach told you, right?

"Yeah, but he never told me I was back on the team." Scott looked down at his lacrosse stick as they went into the bleachers. "He just told me to show up for tryouts today."

Even though he was trying to hide it, Ruth could see the glum clearly on his face. He'd been so proud when he'd made Captain the year prior. Ruth would hate to see him loose the position again.

"We got bigger things to deal with anyway." Stiles swatted his hand through the air, like he was trying to get rid of a fly.

"No, actually. We don't." Ruth pointed out as they made it out of the other side of the bleachers. The lacrosse field stretched out before them and the smell of wet grass assaulted Ruth's senses. "We have an opportunity that we haven't had since we started high school. To be normal," she added when both boys looked at her like she'd grown a second head. "The Alpha Pack is gone, Kate Argent is dead, Derek and Peter have moved on from Beacon Hills. There are no demonic spirits inhabiting any of our bodies..."

Ruth looked at Stiles, who visibly squirmed as he remembered what had happened to him a couple months ago. She hated reminding him of it because she knew how guilty he still felt. She'd tried telling him it wasn't his fault, that he had led the Nogitsune into his mind to save Malia's life, but he refused to listen.

"What I'm trying to say is that there's nothing holding us back from our normal lives anymore. Maybe we should try and enjoy it while it lasts?" She lifted her shoulders in a hopeful shrug as she smiled to the boys. "Besides! You guys have been on the team for years. I think your spots are pretty guaranteed."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that." Scott nicked his head over Ruth's shoulder. Ruth and Stiles both turned and looked out onto the field. On the line in front of the goal were two members of the lacrosse team that Ruth recognized but couldn't remember the names of. But they weren't what Scott was talking about.

It was the player in the goal that Scott was so amazed by. Even from far away, Ruth could tell he was young. He didn't have the slight shadow on his jaw like Scott and Stiles had had since they were sophomores and his torso still seemed to be catching up with the length of his limbs. His face was smooth and where purple bags lined the undersides of Ruth's eyes, his skin was clear and pink - he had clearly been sleeping better than them the last couple of months. 

His eyes were vibrant and darting around the field. He had the goalie-stick in his hand and it was flying through the air, catching every ball the other players threw at him. No matter how obscure the throw, the young goalie stopped all of them, then disposed of the balls in the grass by his feet.

"Well done, Liam!" One of the team members called to him after he caught an almost impossible throw. "You might just become the first ever freshman-captain." Ruth felt Scott stiffen by her side. She didn't blame him.

"Yeah, maybe we just should practice a little bit?" Ruth heard Stiles say.

"Yeah, maybe you should," Ruth murmured, not taking her eyes of off Liam as he caught another ball. The muscles in his arms flexed every time he swung the goalie-stick and Ruth felt herself smirk when his shirt lifted up, revealing a toned abdomen.