New World Revealed! The Dragon Unveiled!

Tomoe stood, frowning at the sky. At the bluish, purplish, bruise of a sky. 

This...wasn't her world.

She'd been in her world this morning, wandering through a grove of persimmon trees. Then, she had been sucked straight into a hole in the sky. A hole that was nowhere to be seen. With a huff, Tomoe tapped a finger on her katana.

There was nothing for it. 

Tomoe started walking, hands clasped behind her back. The air smelled sweet. The trees were lovely, both leaves and flowers a darling shade of pink. The grass underfoot was blue and the birds called trilling melodies. 

Wrinkling her nose, Tomoe pondered her situation. This world wasn't all that bad. She scented no coal, no unearthed iron. 

She hummed as she walked. If she was stuck here, it wasn't a terrible place. It did have the significant drawback of not having any of her family or friends. Which...meant Tomoe would rather find a way back home than stay here. 

Were there people, in this world? Though Tomoe had no extreme love of humans, they could be useful. She continued strolling through the blushing forest, scenting the air in the hope of finding some answers. 

The edge of the forest provided some. 

There was a rustle of leaves moments before a small body hurtled into view. Tomoe skipped a step back, hand on her sword as she lunged back into a defensive stance. 

"You are not of this world."

Tomoe straightened. Her eyes drifted down, a puzzled frown pulling at her mouth. The small boy before her returned her puzzled frown. Sunlight glinted off his sapphire hair. He was pale as snow, cheeks rosy and adorably round.

His appearance didn't match the fiery look in his blue eyes. 

"Nope." She twitched an eyebrow. "Are you? What's your name? Where am I?"

The kid pursed his bow-shaped lips. "Rude woman. Show more respect to your betters."

Tomoe giggled, bending and putting her hands on her knees. She barely stopped herself from ruffling his hair. "Sure." She stood straight, overlapped her hands just below her waist, and gave a deep bow. "Kind sir. Are you from here? What's your name? Where am I?"

The kid snorted. "Kitsune brat."

Tomoe shook free her wings. "You mean, kitsune-tengu brat." She grinned. "Does that answer my first question?"

He gave her a dry look. "I suppose so."

"Mm." Tomoe smiled. "How about your name?"

That earned her nothing but a sneer. 

She pursed her lips. "Where am I?"

His blue eyes lowered, shaded by inky lashes. "Inmeer."

There was a note of sadness in his young voice. She scratched the tip of her ear, suddenly lost of words. 

"Kitsune-tengu?" he said. "You are a child of both clans?"

Tomoe nodded. The kid turned abruptly on his heel. "Come," he said, waving a hand. Without another word, he began to walk away.

Amused by his high-handed manner, Tomoe trailed after him. They walked for a long time through the forest, pink leaves and petals fluttering around them. It wasn't long until they arrived at the base of a cliff. 

"There." The boy pointed. Straight up.

Tomoe tipped her head back, getting woozy at the sight of the cliff towering so high above them. "What about up there?"

He crossed his arms. "That is where we must go."

"For what?" Her voice winged up as her stomach dropped out.

"You wish to return home?"

"Well...yes?"

"That answers your question."

Tomoe crossed her arms. "Look, kiddo. If you don't start explaining things properly, I'm gonna go find someone who will."

The child blinked. Frowned. Then he pointed up to the cliff again. Slowly and precisely, he said, "We. Have. To. Go. Up. There."

Just as slowly and precisely, Tomoe replied, "Why?"

Eyes slit in irritation, the boy held his tongue. Just as Tomoe was about to turn and make her way back through the forest, he let out a sigh. "The portal that spit us into this world is up there."

Tomoe tilted her head back. Licked her lips. "If we can go back, why are you still here?"

"How am I supposed to get up there in this body?" 

"You seem to have a point," Tomoe said, eyeing his small frame. "Wait, what do you mean, this body?"

He opened, then closed his mouth, flushing. Sensing he was about to clam up again, Tomoe did what always worked with her half-brother, Masaki. She ruffled his hair and put on a teasing smile. "Ha ha. Cutie. I can help if you really need it. You're so sweet and little!"

"You brat!" he roared. Or...would have if his voice weren't so small. "You dare touch the dragon of the South Sea?!"

Tomoe's mouth dropped open so far she was surprised her jaw didn't hit the ground. "Dr-dragon?"

Fire snapped in his eyes. "That's right you kitsune brat! If I could, I'd roast those ridiculous ears right off your head for your insolence."

"Uh...I...well. Hm." Tomoe looked the kid up and down. "Dragon?"

"Perhaps I'll bite off your head!" His face turned more red with every word. 

"Right...dragon." Tomoe glanced back up the cliff. "Uh, so...um Your...Eminence? We have to, go up there?"

The dragon nodded sharply. "Up there."

Tomoe shivered in dread at how high it was. She looked back down at him. "What's in it for me?"

"I beg your pardon?" 

"Well, that's quite a long way. And I have to haul you up there. So what's in it for me? No such thing as a free ride, Mr. Dragon."

He pursed his lips, unable to argue. It was only fair. And dragons were undeniably just and fair. "What do you desire, brat?" he said stiffly.

Tomoe mimicked him, pretending to think. "How about a scale? Or a trove of sea pearls?" She gasped and clapped her hands. "Might I have your service for a year?"

"Don't push your luck, brat." The dragon would have breathed steam if he could.

 "Then...how about your name?"

The dragon raised a brow.

Tomoe chuckled. "Never mind. The pearls will do."

At that, he bestowed her a small smile. "Kaito."

The friendship of a dragon secured as payment, Tomoe opened her wings and braced herself for the long flight up. 

Word Count: 999

Word Count: 999

Fantasmical 2023

High Fantasy Prompt: After tumbling through a portal into an unknown realm, you find a dragon trapped in a strange form, desperate to return home.