Chapter 2

(Unedited)

Harry was surprised to find Hermione still asleep when he woke up. Often times, even when they lived in the tent, she was up before him and doing something productive. Whatever had made her cry last night must have taken a lot out of her.

He was careful not to disturb her as he slipped out of bed. Gently, he tucked the edges of the blanket tighter around her and watched fondly as she snuggled deeper into them. After grabbing his wand, Harry headed into the bathroom that was attached to his room.

The last time Harry had been in here, there hadn't been a bathroom. And then the door appeared. When he said something about it, Kreacher said that the house must have been pleased that there was a powerful new Lord. Harry didn't know houses could be pleased, but he was definitely grateful ha hadn't made it angry or anything.

After shutting the door as quietly as possible, Harry set about his morning routine. It was honestly going to take some getting used to for him. He was so used to living in a tent, he forgot how nice living in a house was. Harry brushed his teeth, attempted to comb his hair, and then summoned some clothes from his room.

He slipped out of the boxers and t-shirt he had slept in during the night, and pulled on a new red, long sleeved shirt and a pair of gray joggers. Opting to go barefoot, Harry snuck back into his room and out the door. The smell of bacon assaulted his senses.

Kreacher was definitely preparing some delicious food, but not lunch food. Harry guessed he made breakfast food because they had just gotten up. Well, Harry had just gotten up.

When Harry reached the kitchen, he leaned against the door frame and watched the elf scurry around. There was bacon frying, but that was the only breakfast item.

In a pot next to the bacon, there was some sort of yellow soup simmering. Kreacher stirred the soup, nodded his head when nothing stuck to the edges of the pot, and then hurried over to a bread pan sitting on the counter next to the stove. He quickly opened the oven and placed the pan inside.

After removing the bacon and adding more pieces of the thin meat, Kreacher bustled over to a cutting board Harry had failed to notice. The House-Elf picked up a large knife and began chopping whatever he had on the board. A few moments later, Kreacher was using his magic to chop the food and the he was walking away and into the pantry.

Harry used the time to get some coffee brewing. If they were going to get anything done today, Harry was going to need multiple cups of coffee. He had just sat down at the dining table when Kreacher came running back into the room.

"Will Master be needing anything of Kreacher?" he said as he stopped the knife.

Harry smiled at the House-Elf and said, "I'm alright, Kreacher. Although, I am curious as to what you're cooking for us."

Kreacher beamed (a bit disconcerting on his wrinkly face) and rushed to explain. "Kreacher be making some breakfast bacon for Masters to snack on while Kreacher cooks lunch. For lunch, there is to be bread-bowls and cheesy broccoli soup."

"That sounds delicious," said Harry, "I can't wait."

The elf took Harry's words as a very high compliment and got back to work in silence. As he stirred pots and chopped things, an owl with the Daily Prophet came tapping on the window.

Harry was surprised they could still find the place, but he let the owl in nonetheless. It stuck out it's leg for money, which Harry have it, then flew to the windowsill with a hoot. He wasn't really interested in what bullshit the papers were spewing today, but there was a light drizzle outside and Harry didn't want to make the owl wait. As it was, the owl was sitting on the ledge, waiting for the rain to become a bit lighter. It seemed to find a good time to fly, because it took off a few seconds later.