Why?

Date: July 16th

Time: 7:00 AM.

I wake up to go and get ready for work. I make my lunch, I tidy up the apartment a bit, I get dressed and then do whatever I gotta do in the bathroom to finish off my morning routine. By the time I get all of this done, it is time for me to head off to work. Since I got myself ready at a time where I will have enough time and energy to walk to work, I guess I will just do that. I did wake up an hour earlier than I normally would on days I have work. But wait, I don't have the route to work quite down yet. So walking there and having the risk of getting lost may cause me to be even later than I would if I were to walk on normal shift days... 

I finally decide to drive to work after a ton of unnecessary overthinking. No matter how early I will be, I gesture Togedemaru to come with me and make sure I have Vikavolt's pokeball then head out the door to my car. On my drive to work, I see a bunch of children already outside playing... Maybe they're going to a babysitters house or a daycare? Or perhaps slept over at their friends and maybe they're going somewhere? Whatever, it's still rude to stare, so I should just be on my way to work. 

I finally arrive to work, but as I anticipated, I am the first one there besides my boss Ellery and a few of my co-workers I haven't met yet. Ellery instructs me to continue to work on my 3D model when I wait for further instructions. It kinda sucks that I won't be able to participate in the actual construction of this satellite, but I am glad that I can make it out of my imagination. I realized it has the color palette of a Togedemaru, which makes me smile. I may call it Togemaru-1. I also may not get to actually build the satellite, but I do get to launch it. As more people pour into the offices, Damien and Kyle are of course the ones that stick out to me as always. Especially Damien. Once again, I don't know what it is about him. There is just something love-able about his personality. I can't put my finger on why I feel that way, but I guess I will find out one day.

I get a knock on my office door. It' s Ellery! He seems to have some important news for me. He reports to me that I, Sophocles will go on a space mission that is exclusively for cadets tomorrow... With my mentor Damien and one other cadet. And that cadet is unfortunately Kyle. That thought makes my heart drop to my stomach like Kyle's words did yesterday. I then think to myself, if something goes wrong and causes the lights to go out on the ship then it's gonna throw me straight into Nyctophobic hell. That would then cause Kyle to report back to Ellery about how big of a mistake hiring me was and would cause me to get fired on my 3rd day of work. 

Ellery asks me if I really want to take the mission. I of course agree to it. I'm super excited for what might happen but also a little paranoid. Ellery thanks me and then leaves my office. Damien, my mentor who also goes into my office to make sure I don't muck anything up too badly as a new cadet, comes over to monitor my work. But instead of monitoring my work he says "Hey, if you're thinking of getting fired, don't worry. We take your condition on your job application very seriously. Or at least I do. Ellery and I set up some accommodations that you can use if your phobia becomes a problem..." Damien then plops a list of accommodations they set up for me on my desk... It's quite long. I thank Damien for caring so much and look away all flustered. 

A few hours later it is time for my shift to end. I stretch, save my work and get out of my office with Damien practically breathing down my neck following me to make sure I don't get lost... He can't stop blushing when he looks at me in the eye, and I can't seem to stop either. I don't know why we are so attracted to each other. What does this mean? Is this normal? Why is this feeling mutual? Why? Why!? As I wonder this, we finally reach the parking lot. I thank him for today, and I drive back home.

There was something different about today when I got home. I know it was my same apartment as usual, but there was something... different. I felt the need to do everything as if Damien was right there guiding me through different things and just being with me in general. It's like I almost WANTED to ask him out so we could live a happy life together but no way! Once again, there's absolutely no chance that someone as sophisticated as him would want to be with someone as weird and awkward as I am... but I think... Damien does. 

When I get into bed I don't even bother hesitating to turn the night lamp on because I know it is what Damien would want me to do in order to stay mentally healthy. I also turn over and look at my wall to act like someone was actually sleeping besides me. A significant other. Damien. No! Not Damien! Damien wouldn't be my significant other and we both know that. Sure he may have been acting odd around me but that doesn't mean anything! We are just mentor and cadet who are friends! Nothing more, nothing less. But this doesn't stop those sudden thoughts of love. These thoughts do leave me restless throughout the night but it was worth it because those thoughts were about Damien. Everything in my mind seems to be about Damien.

But Why?