Chapter 16. A Thin Line

The door to the captain's office was crafted from intricately carved wood and gleamed with a polished finish. Like all the buildings in the area, it carried a distinct aroma, reminiscent of a time when quality and core values held greater importance. Unfortunately, those times had faded, along with most of the honest guardians who once protected them.

Theo rapped on the door before entering without waiting for an invitation. Captain Braun sat behind his desk, engrossed in his paperwork. Without lifting his gaze, he gestured for Theo to take a seat, indicating that he was close to completing his report.

Theo sank into the visitor chair, his hands gripping the wooden armrests tightly. The weight of everything he had discovered threatened to burst forth in a torrent of anger since he had arrived at work that day. To his disbelief, it was Captain Braun who had set Blake free, the very criminal responsible for flooding the town with drugs. After all the effort Theo had put into capturing him, it felt like a harsh slap to the face.

Theo took a deep breath, determined to keep his anger in check. While the idea of setting the room ablaze was tempting, he knew there were better ways to handle the situation. After all, he had come here seeking answers.

In an attempt to distract himself, Theo glanced around the room. The wall opposite the window was adorned with bookshelves, filled to the brim with books, journals, and countless case folders. At the top of one shelf, he noticed a bottle containing a peculiar yellowish potion. He had always been curious about its purpose but had never mustered the courage to ask. Now, he had nothing to lose.

"Why do you keep that potion there, Captain?" Theo inquired, gesturing towards the shelf.

The captain finished his writing and closed the case folder, his gaze shifting to the shelf in question. "Ah, a Sleeping potion," he replied, a hint of nostalgia in his voice. "It serves as a reminder of the line a guardian should never cross."

You're freaking kidding me. Theo seethed with anger, but he managed to express his concerns in a more composed manner. "So, this line you speak of... does it include setting criminals free?"

The captain regarded him with a focused gaze. "So you've heard about Blake."

Theo clenched his jaw, feeling the fiery rage within him threaten to consume the very chair he sat on.

The captain carefully placed his pen in the inkwell and folded his hands on the desk. "Theo, I've been observing you closely since your first day here. I've been aware of your every move. Just to be clear, it was I who instructed Jeffrey Spence to approach you after your interrogation of Candice. His role was to gain your trust and ascertain your intentions."

Theo gasped. "So, you were aware of my plan to arrest Blake?"

"Not really. I learned about it this morning, right after I arrived at work. I was informed that we had a new suspect in custody. I immediately summoned Spence, and he filled me in on your actions." He grinned. "I must admit, I didn't see that coming. You've certainly earned yourself a favor. I think you no longer deserve the title of a rookie."

"Then what am I to you? A mere pawn?"

The captain chuckled. "I would prefer to think of you as a true guardian."

"Unlike you," Theo spat. "How could you release Blake, knowing the harm he will cause?"

The captain rose from his seat and walked over to the window. He opened the frames, allowing the warm air and sunlight to fill the room. The sunshine enveloped his silhouette, obscuring his facial features. "Our job is far from simple, Theo."