Chapter 10

"Don't be silly, Summer.." Dally followed me.
"Silly? Dally. Don't you see? You never take me to parties. You never want to meet my friends. You never took the time to be with me. You never worried about me. You never even considered my feelings, Dally." I started walking in sudden tears. I couldn't think anymore. I couldn't count on anyone anymore. I didn't know if I was myself anymore. Things were changing. A lot of things were changing. Ponyboy and I always hung out, that was one of the things that didn't change. I didn't want to talk to anyone anymore. I felt like this routine was happening all the time. Dally would make a promise, then he'd break it, and then he'd apologize. I always forgave him, but I couldn't take it anymore. So I blew up, letting all my feelings out. I hurt. I really did. Not physically, but emotionally. I hated every second of the pain. I didn't want to go through with it anymore. I couldn't go through with it anymore.
"I love you, Summer Lawson." Dally suddenly yelled. "I always have!"
I suddenly stopped in my tracks. All I did was mutter, "Too late." And with that, I left.

Dallas caught up with me a little while later I turned my back to him. "I never took you to parties because I thought you'd be embarrassed by me-the one who picks fights." Dally rambled on. "I never wanted to meet your friends because I thought they'd make fun of you. A pretty girl like you with a guy like me? I wanted you to be happy. I didn't want to seem like a friend who knows nothing about you. I never invited you to things because I was worried you'd get bored and tired of me. I didn't want to lose you just like that.. I've always loved you, Summer... I just never had the heart to tell you.."
I shut my eyes, and took a deep breath. I say go for that second one. My memory rebooted. If you truly love the person, you wouldn't have fallen for anyone else. "If I truly love that person, I wouldn't have fallen for anyone else.."
"What?" Dally asked.
"Dally.." I sighed, turning toward him. "My second crush is Soda.." I bit my lip. "The second crush is the one who'll stay.."
"But then... Who was your first?" Dally had a confused expression on my face.
"You were.." My heart fell apart after I said that last sentence.