I | Old or New Meanings

What is magic?

Magic is deception, but deception designed to delight, to entertain, to inspire. It is about belief. Faith. Trust.

Without those qualities, magic as an art form would no longer exist. 

... 

NEW YORK, MARCH 18

"You're fired."

"Fired, but I've been here from the start Frank. You can't just toss me to the curb like that."

New York, the place where people come to find their success stories. Where all dreamers, seekers, and lovers call home. It's a chance to climb up the social ladder and into someone you want to become. This is the New York dream. 

"I helped create the sets, the scenes, this is one of the biggest successes on Broadway. You can't just toss me out like that. Come on Frank, we've been through thick and thin on this project. You know this is what I've strived for, what we've strived for. My name has been on the Marquee since forever."

Broadway the heart of all artist's dreams. Where fantasy becomes reality. From aspiring actors, to singers, directors, to even magicians, star on Broadway. What happens when that fantasy collapses? 

Y/n, well she had big dreams. She started as a young magician after her father who hosted kid's birthday parties and sometimes appeared on the Santa Monica Pier, occasionally being his assistant. Since then she was fascinated by the art of misdirection. Although it never occurred to her that magic will consume her life. Hints of magic would essentially guide her through her adolescents. Aspiring to become a director and set designer of huge movie productions. Giving the people the movie magic that they didn't know existed. She aspired to achieve what no one in her family could, success. So she moved from her hometown to the big NYC. Where she got a bachelor's degree in screenwriting at NYU and a minor in engineering. 

She was developing a set design for her engineering class when a couple of her classmates came up to her with a proposition. They just got a deal from a big company, where they allowed the rights from a big movie and book franchise and were allowed one chance to be put on Broadway. It was a lucky break for the undergrads. Y/n was to handle set design as well as co-direct and write all scenes that dealt with turning the fictional magic into magic they could perform. Bringing the community of magicians and 'wizards' to life with the usage of Black Art Illusions. The show became a rising hit. Everything seemed to go right, for this to be Y/n's big break. 

"Listen y/n, I know all that you've done for us but my hands are tied. We've been officially bought out. The new owners want to revamp the whole show, they hired new actors new technicians, the whole works."

"That means you're out of a job to..." Frank stood firm still holding contact with y/n, one of the original co-writers who developed the idea of having real magic intertwine with fantasy. "Frank I am so sorry." She hugged the slightly taller man. To her surprise, he pushed her away by the shoulders.

"There is also one more caveat with the new owners. They have a lawyer. They want your name out..."

"What."

"They said that if you go quietly that they'll let you out on good terms. If not then they'll..."

"So you're saying they're gonna take all of my credit? All of my hard work and years and stage building and training for no recognition. I'll higher my own lawyer then I can fight them on this!"