11. home is wherever i'm with you

(One week later)

After a week in the NICU, Sofia was still thriving. Everyone couldn't help but check on the tiny baby when they had the time. April was so impressed by that tiny baby, the fact she had overcome so much in such a short time and was fighting through it.. It was just incredible.

Callie was doing much better, too, though she still hadn't seen the baby yet as she wasn't quite fit to walk. Lexie and April helped a couple of people sneak her in to see Sofia, and Lexie joked that it was the first time April had ever broken a rule.

Mark was discharged a day after his stitches and told to rest and come back so he could have them checked up. He looked after Arizona. They all looked after Callie, and it felt like the whole hospital had their back.

___

April and Lexie were lying on the couch together one evening, Lexie was half asleep, and April had on whatever cartoons Zola was watching before she went to sleep.

April watched Lexie quietly, smiling to herself at how cute she was when she was sleepy. But April couldn't sleep like that, not when she was so stressed about this whole chief resident thing.

Everyone had their thing, Jackson was on the diabetes trial, Meredith was on the alzheimers trial- Alex decided he was going to pay 100 grand to bring people from Africa over to the hospital and treat them, which was so admiring. She wished she had something to give like that. She was really trying hard, but she felt like it wasn't enough.

Of course, Lexie was being diplomatic about the whole situation. She had to be because, as a third year resident, she had zero power over any of it.

But, she also had a good idea that April was in for a shot. She was very proud of her girlfriend.

Lexie surprised her by wrapping her arms around her middle, resting her chin on top of April's shoulder.

"You think too loud -"

April sighed, hands going to Lexie's.

"Sorry - I just.. I was contemplating."

"About what?"

Even though she couldn't look at Lexie's face in the position they were in, she could tell there was a smirk there, and she was right.

"Just- Chief Resident stuff and.. Slowly losing faith in myself -"

Lexie held her a little bit tighter, giving her a gentle squeeze.

"I've said it a million times over. You have nothing to worry about. Personally, I think you'd make a great leader.."

She pressed a kiss to her neck.

"And I love you."

April smiled. She knew all of these things. There was still just some anxiety about it...

"I love you too -"

"Hey, have you thought about what I said? About getting our own place?"

Lexie finally said. It had been on the back of her mind before all of the drama at the hospital recently.

April froze because she thought that was just the tequila talking the first time that it was mentioned. The second time, she didn't know what to think, and now she's hearing it again.

"I - Well.. I think that maybe we should wait a little longer.. We've only been back together for like less than a month?"

Lexie sighed. She understood where April was coming from.

"I know - Just, Meredith has Zola now. She definitely wants more kids.. I don't want to be in the way of that - What I'm saying April is that I'm looking for a place and you don't have to move in with me - but I'd really like you to.."