Chapter Six

The maid poured some more hot water into the basin where Priyadarshini sat soaking her aching feet. The journey to the temple had been a tedious one. They had gone on foot up the Jagdamba hills, climbing the innumerable stairs which had been cut into the sides of the rock. The temple, situated right at the top of the hill, was an ancient one where the royal family had worshiped for centuries. Once or twice on the upward journey, she had felt herself falter, the next instant, finding the Prince's hand on her arm in a strong grip.

"Thank you, my lord," she had muttered unwillingly when he supported her the first time on the steep steps. Any misstep would lead to a fall into the deep gorge below.

He had thrown a mocking look her way. "I would not want you to die so soon in this manner. You are the surety of your father's good behavior." The hurtful words had pierced her heart but she had kept silent in deference to the pious nature of the trip. Soon, they had stood before the idol of the Goddess, while the priest performed the rituals, invoking the blessings of the Goddess so that they would have many strong sons. Priyadarshini smiled to herself. Little did he know that the blessings could do no magic. Her husband had no intention of consummating the marriage.

The return journey had been uneventful, though seeming to be inordinately long as they rode silently on the carriage, once down the hill. They had both been lost in their own musings. She had been cogitating on the futility of this union which was no union at all. Could his parents not see that he hated her? Why did they insist on such rituals?

With a sigh, Priyadarshini turned her mind to more urgent matters at hand. Rattan was still languishing in the dungeons. She felt bad for Lalita. Her companion nursed some feelings for the young lad. Lalita was a year older than her and should have been married by now, but she had chosen to serve her mistress. It was up to her now to bring the two lovers together.

It had been two days since the trip to the temple. Nothing had changed in her life, as she sat in the window seat, admiring the gardens below. She was restless, the ennui was killing her. In her father's house, she had ridden like the wind, galloping through the fields and forests. She had practiced her moves with the sword, training with the best of the warriors. Here she had nothing to do all day, except moon around her chamber. The other women who occupied the inner sanctums of the palace would surely welcome her in their midst, but they would talk about the Prince, which was abhorrent to her. They were opposites in personality, she disliked any altercation or destruction, while he thrived on both. Discord was second nature to him. His arrogance and insensitivity knew no bounds. How would she spend a lifetime with such a man? But spend she must. There was no way out for her without causing a further rift between the two kingdoms. Resigned to her fate, she turned to rise, when a maid rushed into the chamber with a message. King Yashvardhan wished to see her.

"You summoned me, father," she remarked, taking a seat as he waved her to one.

"Yes, daughter-in-law. Since the wedding, I have been meaning to say something to you," he looked at her with a smile, as if waiting to test her reaction. Priyadarshini nodded, waiting anxiously. What new trial was she to face?"I am happy at the union, my dear daughter. You have one wish. Ask for anything you want."

*****

The passage which led to the dungeons was dark and dank. Lalita held the taper high, as they descended the steps to the sturdy gates at the bottom, manned by two burly guards. They barred the entryway, as she and Lalita reached the gates. "You are not allowed here," one of them spat irritably. "Go away, before the Prince gets word of this."

"Yes, go away. Have you come to cause more trouble? Poor Rattan is suffering because of you." A group of men had gathered at the gate, jeering her. They clearly held her responsible for Rattan's incarceration. Someone pushed Lalita, and she almost lost her footing. Priyadarshini caught her arm in time, preventing a fall. Were all men of Jaigarh so lacking in good manners?