002, one job

CHAPTER TWO: ONE JOB

"ONE JOB, CABRERA," Anthony seethed, gripping his phone a little tighter as he held it up to his ear.

He sat on his bed, surrounded by his batting gloves, bats, and other things he was supposed to have in his bag so he could get to the training facility on time to hear last minute speeches that were thrown together for them because the owners wanted to keep them engaged.

"It's not my fault she hates you," Oswaldo replied calmly. "You're the one that messed that up."

Anthony would never admit it, but Oswaldo was by far his best friend. He had no idea why the two of them got along so well, especially after Oswaldo had heard Val, Lila, and Alix's side of the infamous story, but somehow they did.

They could stay up for hours eating pizza and playing FIFA but they could also talk about the meaning of life or ex-girlfriends, and then go right back to eating pizza and playing FIFA.

"One fucking job," he muttered, running a hand through his hair.

"Watch it, I'm your only friend."

"I have a lot of friends," Anthony argued.

"No you don't," Oswaldo said. "Let's be honest here, I'm your best friend."

"One job, Cabrera," Anthony repeated.

"Do you know how much I'm risking just talking to you?"

"Don't start that again," Anthony groaned, flopping back onto his bed. "Lila and Alix don't hate me that much."

"Yes they do," his friend told him. "They hate you a lot. I'd say out of the three of them, Val hates you the least."

"You're a gem, Cabrera," he snarked sarcastically.

"Even Kristin and Xandra hate you," Oswaldo went on, completely ignoring Anthony's previous comment.

"And I hate you."

"Shouldn't you bet at the stadium already?" he asked. "Aren't the managers, Stanton, and Judge coming today?"

"Yeah, to give us some bullshit speech about..." Anthony trailed off, trying to remember what the purpose was the visit for. "Bullshit, probably."

"Ward doesn't do bullshit," Oswaldo assured him.

"The others?"