First Look

"Ring..ring.. Radhe Radhe Maa" Veer said as he picked up his phone in one hand with his bag and wallet in the other. Veer was running late and he knew his mother was calling to ask where he was. "Radha Rani ki Jay" replied his mother "beta where are you, is everything okay". "I'm just running late today Maa I didn't realize what time it was, I'm leaving now so I'll be home in an hour, you guys don't worry and go to sleep, goodnight". "Okay goodnight beta, drive safely" said his mother as they hung up. Veer quickly walked out his office and walked down the winding corridor. Veer's family had a diamond and jewelry business. Veer worked at the farthest location from home, which was an hour away. Veer's father managed the factory which made all their jewelry closer to home. Veer's mother and Sneha babhi managed a retail location in the next town over from home and Veer's brother Roshan worked at another retail location closest to their home. Veer worked at his retail location and a few times a week worked at the factory to help his father out. Veer was out of India for the past couple weeks for an international jewelery convention and meetings for their international clients. He just came back yesterday and since has been swamped with all the paperwork he missed. Veer walked down the glass corridor that oversaw the retail shop, this was his office area, towards the end of the corridor was the employee room, it was stocked with a TV, couches, coffee bar and refrigerator for all the employees to use during the day. Veers father and Dadi had always treated their employees like family so all their locations ensured they were all comfortable during the day. All the shops had the same basics in terms of products they carried but every location was different in its own sense. The other two locations had a vintage rustic design to keep in touch with the Rajasthani roots, Veer's was the newest location and the closest to the city, as a result it was visited by a lot of the younger generation along with the older, it was modern along with traditional, the entire office had light beige and gold outlines followed by silver accents. Towards the end of the corridor Veer met his manager Sharma "Sharma, I want an outline for the next week by the end of tomorrow" Veer said as he waved him goodbye "yes sir" Sharma replied enthusiastically. Veer was good with people, his employees loved him, Veer was neither harsh nor mean yet he had a way with getting his work done with people, even when he was serious or upset he didn't get mad and managed to get people to understand his POV and successfully get the work done. The rest of the employees were also leaving and with that Veer began his ride home. He turned on some music and as the road ahead turned so did his thoughts. Veer thought about the girl, it had been some time since his Dadi mentioned the girl they wanted him to see. But they had called and the girl had gone out of town for some medical camp, then Veer had to go out of the country for work and now that he was back his family had set up a meeting for Monday. Veer was nervous, he didn't know what he would say or ask, it was a big decision. How two people made the decision after one or two meetings he had no idea, but it seems he had to do it. Veer's family was traditionally rooted but had a modern perspective towards things, they had asked him if he liked anyone and the truth was he didn't. Veer was different than others his age, he was simple and rooted yet determined and strong, he didn't flirt with girls nor did he encourage any when they flirted with him, half the times he was clueless that girls were flirting with him, which happened quite a bit. Veer hadn't seen the girls pic, he didn't want to see a pic and judge her by the photo, that would make things worse and he didn't want to make any assumptions about her without actually meeting her. He wasn't sure if she had seen his photo, he wondered what she would've thought? "I guess we'll find out" he said as he continued to drive.

"I think it's this one" said Veer's Dadi as they turned into the house on the left. Veer was driving ahead with his Dadi while his mother and father followed in their car behind him with his brother and babhi in the third car at the end. Veer's heartbeat thudded even louder as he saw the girls family wait outside expecting them, he swore his Dadi could hear it because she tapped his hand on the gear stick "just be yourself" she said before she got out of the car. Veer's mother had opened her door and they waited outside for Veer. Veer's family had already begun greeting the girls family as Veer stepped out of the car and walked around to meet them. There was who Veer assumed to be the girls great grandmother, her grandparents, her brother and another grandmother. Veer walked around and folded his hands and smiled before he walked forward and touched the elder's feet. As he stood next to his parents he could see the grandparents smile and nod in approval looking at each other. Veer stood up straight yet he had a sense of humility as he stood in front of them, he could see them looking at him from head to toe. Veer stood tall wearing dark brown shoes, white linen pants carefully ironed with the crease in the front, a light beige Jodhpuri coat with a white silk pocket square in his left pocket. The Jodhpuri was lined with maroon buttons with accents and the small square gap opened at the base of his neck giving way to his Adams apple. His sharp jawline was shaved and his wavy hair was neatly combed to the side while a single strand hung loosely over his open clean forehead. Veer stood with his watch on his left hand which held his right hand wrist in front of his waist and as the sun shined over him there was an unreal aura about him, he stood tall and a slight smile was placed on his face which managed to shine to his eyes, he looked impeccable, one might even say godly. Seeing the girls family's smiles Veer and his family could tell they were pleased, they already liked Veer.

After a few introductory's the girls family welcomed Veer and his family inside and showed them around the house. They now sat with chai and snacks in front of them as they waited for the girls grandmother to bring her downstairs. Veer looked around the house, his eyes and demeanor was calm as he sat with his hands on his legs but inside his heart was running a marathon, his heart was within a storm like it was riding a boat in turbulent waters. If one could measure the nervousness his heart exhibited right now Veer was sure he'd break the monitor. Veer's babhi Sneha who was sitting next to him reached over pretending to remove lint off his shoulder quietly whispered "don't be nervous, there's no reason for the girl to not like my devar, he's one in a million". Veer smiled at her words and nodded but his heart still raced. The two families were talking, there was a slight hustle around the house and even with his rapid heartbeat drumming in his ears, Veer heard the clinks. He heard the slight clinks of bangles as they walked from upstairs slowly making their way closer to him. Veer's heart paced even faster, he could hear her closer, closer. The clinks got slightly louder, while the family was immersed in conversation Veer's ears focused on the clink of bangles so much so that he couldn't hear his father talking to him. "Veer. Veer.." Sneha's slight nudge brought him out of his daze. "Veer beta bring the latest design portfolio from your car, I want to show them something" "Yes Bauji" said Veer quickly as he rose and walked to his car. "Here she is" said the girls grandfather "our granddaughter Aarohi". Aarohi walked to the family and smiled as she greeted and touched the elders feet, the ladies instead opted to give her a hug which happily surprised both Aarohi and her family. As Aarohi met Veer's family he walked back inside and gave the file to his Dadi so she could pass it to his father, Aarohi stood greeting his mother with her back to him. Dadi dropped the file and a couple papers flew down. "I'm sorry beta" said Dadi. Veer quickly bent down to pick up the papers without noticing Aarohi was doing the same facing his back, as they both turned around to grab the last piece of paper their hands touched. It was as if both the families watched only them and they had yet to see each other, their hands touched, one's fingers on top of the others, the touch froze them, they realized what just happened and the slight shock was enough for them to stop and move their gaze from their hands to each other. Veer noticed the girl wearing a light pink lengha, her slim fingers nails were painted a clear with white outline, above them were the shiny dark pink bangles which he heard earlier, Veer smiled slightly. The girls light pink lengha had white and dark pink accents. Her long neck held a small pendant necklace, her ears had big gold jhumkas, her hair was wavy and open flying slightly as the air played a sweet symphony with the strands creating a barrier between the two. Veer first saw her big brown eyes and long lashes which blinked as they tried to move the hair, the hair now covered the eyes only to reveal the perfect pink lips, the hair moved again and showed her small nose. Veer was mesmerized, frozen in place with his hand still over the paper, enjoying the sweet melody which the strands seemed to be playing just for him, he forgot everyone else in the room, his heartbeat was now calm, maybe calmer than ever, he didn't realize the girl had removed her hand until he saw it moving her hair out of her face. Veer watched carefully as her slim fingers took the strands of her hair and pushed it aside. It was only when her face was completely revealed that Veer came out of his daze. The girl now looked at Veer as the wind moved the strand of hair on his forehead, she looked at him and there was a smile that played in her eyes as she smiled. They both looked at each other and both said "you"? Both Aarohi and Veer smiled almost chuckling Veer looked at her and said "Aarohi, you"? " while Aarohi replied with "Veer what are you doing here"? Veer looked at her still chucking while pointing at himself and said "ladka" with a slight question as if that summed up everything. Aarohi also chucking did the same and said "ladki". Then suddenly as if all the burden was removed from his shoulders and as if his heart was suddenly calm instantly in that moment he repeated "ladki" looking at Aarohi almost an affirmation as if seeing Aarohi as the prospective bride was the best thing to happen and now he had no nervousness, no worry. Aarohi looked at him once more and smiled while confirming the same looking at Veer she said "ladka" as if suddenly the idea of meeting a boy wasn't so bad, they both savored the moment seeing the other, initially surprised now pleasantly and oddly calm. You both know each other" asked Aarohi's brother? The families were confused looking at each other both the family members shrugged wondering the same thing. Veer and Aarohi both got up, putting the papers aside Veer looked at Aarohi and smiled. "How do you both know each other beta" asked Dadi looking at Veer and Aarohi. 

Author Notes: Sorry guys, I had stopped writing this piece for some time, but have started again, will try to update at least once a week. Let me know your thoughts, ideas and what you think of the story, looking forward to reading your suggestions and comments. And a big thank you to all of you who waited for the story.