13.

march 29th, 2006
tokyo, japan

it had been over a month since the news about emma's coma was released. she had apparently been hit in the head by a baseball bat in an attempted drive-by. mikey was devastated, not even bothering to eat. all he did was mope, causing the captains of toman to worry. except draken—he was also unresponsive.

[name] sighed as she thought about it, wondering if she should visit emma in the hospital. perhaps the blonde would wake up. the [color]-haired teen when another thought came to mind.

she and sōya had gotten into an argument. while common for relationships, it was rare for the two to fight. sōya found out she was the vice-commander of brahman and practically yelled at her, upset and angry.

"[name], you own brahman? alongside senju?" the teal-haired boy had asked.

"yeah, why?"

"what the hell, [name]? it was bad enough you were in black dragon, but owning a gang is completely different. i respect that you decided to do it, sure, but i don't like the fact that you're constantly putting yourself in danger."

"sōya, i'll be fi-"

"draken was stabbed once, baji got killed, emma's in a coma. why can't you leave the gang life? i don't want you getting hurt anymore."

"i can take care of myself, sōya."

"that's not the fucking point!" he snapped, causing the girl to flinch in surprise. she frowned, crossing her arms.

"then what is the point? i grew up around gangs, sōya. it's only natural for me to be in one. i know you're worried but-"

"i'm not worried, i'm terrified. draken almost died and baji did die. emma's coma made me realize how scared i am. i don't want to lose you because you decided to do something stupid or because of another gang. i don't want you to die, okay?!"

"i'm not gonna fucking die! why are you so worried about me?! you have no reason to be."

"of course i'm worried. you're my fucking girlfriend. i don't want you to end up six feet under. is that so hard to understand?!"

"i'm not going to end up dead, sōya! what the hell is your problem? do you really have that little faith in me?" her voice cracked and she turned away. he fell silent and simply stared at the girl with watery eyes. she huffed. "i'm not doing this right now, sōya."

she began to leave, tears welling in her eyes. his eyes widened and he cursed, calling out to her, "w-wait, [name]-!"

a sudden thud shook her from her thoughts. she glanced back, spotting senju sitting on the floor rubbing her foot. the pinkette gave a sheepish grin before standing up.

"you've been down lately. what's wrong? do i need to kick someone's ass?"

[name] gave her a small smile and shook her head before sighing. "i'm at a loss."

"why?"

"sōya and i argued."

"you two never argue. what was it about?"

"my position as vice-commander. he found out and wasn't pleased. he thinks i'm in mortal danger or something. he told me he didn't want me to die, but i'm not going to! not by something as small as a stab wound. i can protect myself. he doesn't need to worry."

senju hummed in thought before facing her sister fully. "i think the problem is that you don't realize why he's worried. he cares, so he worries."

"but he doesn't need to. i can-"

"[name], you're too stubborn. he knows the dangers of gang life. of course he worries about you. you've been together for nearly two years and you think he wouldn't care?" the [color]-haired teen fell silent in contemplation as senju gave herself a mental pat on the back. "think about it, alright? we have a battle coming up soon against some wannabe gang."

"right. thank you, senju."

"of course, 'neki."

•••
april 5th, 2006
tokyo, japan

[name] was not one to be brutal without reason, but the more she thought about her argument with sōya, the more pissed she became. now, as she stood toe-to-toe with the gang known as "white kings" ('seriously, who came up with that?' she wondered), she felt the need for bloodshed rise.

it wasn't long before she was tearing through the opposing gang's forces by herself, the rest of brahman watching from the side. blood and saliva flew through the air, grunts echoing in the parking lot. [name] grinned toothily, her eyes glazed over with bloodlust. her knuckle dusters were slick with crimson and piles of bodies lay at her feet.

the few standing gulped nervously, staring wide-eyed at the girl. her grin widened and she rushed towards them, oblivious to senju who had called sōya. the boy was speeding towards the parking lot, panicked. when he arrived, he skidded to a stop and watched as his girlfriend mercilessly beat one of the unconscious kids.

he swallowed thickly and promptly shouted, "heel!"

[name] froze before slowly turning, blinking her eyes in confusion. she caught sight of teal tufts and furrowed her brows, scowling. the boy repeated the command, causing her to obediently stalk over to him.

"why are you here?" she questioned.

"senju called me. she knew you would kill those kids if i didn't stop you."

"so what if i killed them, huh? wouldn't be the first time."

"that's not the point."

"whatever. i don't want to see you right now. i'm still pissed."

"[name], can we not do this in front of people?"

"fine."

senju cleared her throat and began cheering their victory, smiling widely. [name] felt her stomach sink at sōya's dejected expression, releasing a sigh. she pressed a kiss to his cheek before pulling away and crossing her arms.

"that's all you're getting for now," she muttered, closing her eyes.