PROLOGUE

ᴀᴜɢᴜꜱᴛ 1983

ᴀᴜɢᴜꜱᴛ 1983

     THE YEAR OF NINETEEN-EIGHTY-THREE was the year Diana lost her father to lung cancer. Her father was her biggest inspiration, so his death inspired her to work harder toward her diploma. In addition to graduating from high school, she attended university. 

     So she did. She kicked ass and graduated from SUNY. Her degree is in journalism. She moved halfway across the country to Washington to escape the North. The Washington Post hired her after she moved to Washington. Her evening routine involved watching the five o'clock news on TV in her shanty downtown apartment. The news talked about the weather, crimes, and politics. Diana stared at the television as the lights flashed on the wall behind her. 

     “How am I supposed to write this down?” Scribbling down the key details of the news report, she questioned herself. As the commercials came on, she rose and drifted to her apartment's kitchenette. She grabbed a coffee mug and ran hot water from the tap into the mug before adding a green tea bag. She muttered soft words to herself as she heated the water in the microwave. The apartment lights flickered as the wind increased outside before shutting off.  

     "Wow, this is fuckin’ great!” She yelled as she grabbed her mug out of the microwave. Grabbing her notebook, she sat in the now-dark kitchen sipping lukewarm tea. She glanced around the apartment before writing again. Most of what she wrote was summaries of what she heard before the power went out. She prayed the power would return for the 8 pm news. A few minutes later, the power came back, and Diana rushed over to the T.V. The news report ran on the bottom of the screen as some sitcoms showed. Diana wrote the words verbatim, whispering to herself as she did. 

     After a few weeks, she became accustomed to following the news. She met her first friend; he was known as Paul but everyone called him Paulie. He introduced Diana to his best friend, Daniel, or “Danny Boy” as Paul called him. The two had a connection Diana had never had with anyone. Diana was amazed at how confident and comfortable Daniel and Paul were with each other.  

     “So Diana, Paulie, and I are havin’ a party this Friday and we were wonderin’ if you wanted to come,” Daniel spoke as Diana sat at her desk in the office. 
“Who’s going to be at this so-called party?” Diana asked as she stopped typing. Daniel and Paul looked at her with wide eyes. 
“Only the most talented musicians, artists, and whoever else security lets pass.”