Buck's Back

"Is it safe for you to leave this room? I feel awful that they locked you in here."

"I know that I'm in control but I really don't want to make anyone uncomfortable by leaving," I say, starting to fidget with the fingers on my metal arm.

"I'll go talk to them and get you out of here." He says, and I just smile back at him.

I look back down to my fingers and he opens the door. Immediately, I hear Bucky and the screaming in his mind. I can feel the blood rush away from my face as I go pale. I just reach for the table to hopefully ground myself.

"Anna, hey! What's wrong?" He asks, running up to my side, "Anna, who is it?" He clarifies, realizing what I'm reacting to.

"It's Bucky. He's still trying to fight Hydra but I can feel his pain. He's ripping his mind apart." I squeeze my fist tighter and listen to the table shatter under the grip of my fist. I flinch and watch Peter back away, reaching for his arm. I turn to try and help him but Bucky gets louder. I scream and fall onto my knees from the chair. Bucky's thoughts are consuming me now.

Peter moves down to my side and I hear Steve come running back in, kneeling down on my left. His arm touches my shoulder and I can focus on that so I can breathe a little easier.

"Anna, hey, listen to me. Just listen to my voice and nothing else." Steve says and Peter quickly pushes the door closed.

"What's going on? Who do you hear?" Steve asks, holding my hand.

"Bucky. He's not going to make it unless I help him. He's too weak." I say, starting to cry.

"I don't think that's a good idea. If he's affecting you this much, from this far away, it's only going to get worse as we get closer to him."

"But I'm the only one that can help him. You have to let me in there, Steve." I ask, looking at him through my tears.

Steve looks over to Peter and they make faces as if they're communicating telepathically. Then they start to help me stand up from the shards of glass. I lean on them until we get to the room Bucky's being held in. They send me in and then start to pace the hallway just outside.

When I walk into the room I can see a distressed Bucky, pulling hair from his head and I see a series of holes in the wall and a scuffed-up metal fist. He looks up at me and launches himself into me.

"Bucky! You have to listen to me!" I yell, trying to fight him off with what little strength I have right now. His fist comes flying at my face and I catch it, trying to send it back to him.

"This isn't you!" I scream at him and I get my hands on his temples. I try to fight his own thoughts, covering them with my own, struggling to get him back in control of his mind.

He eventually shoves me off of him and onto the floor.

"What did they do to you this time?" I mumble under my breath.

***

Tony and Rhodes come running up to Steve and Peter with worried looks on their faces.

"Anna's not in her room and there is glass and blood all over the floor. What the hell happened?" Tony asks, starting to realize who he's talking to.

"Did she hurt you?" Rhodey asks, pointing to Peters's arm which has been cut up and covered in dried blood.

"No. Well, yes but it wasn't intentional. She's in control."

"Okay, then where is she?" Tony asks, raising his voice and Steve tilts his head at him, "Don't tell me you put her in there. Don't tell me you put her in there with Barnes."

"Tony. Tony! She's in control. She's on our side." Steve pleads.

"He can trigger her!"

"And she can help him."

***

"Bucky?" I say, finally hearing the Buck I know, "Bucky, you're listening to me."

"Annie?" He asks, falling down onto the small bench in the corner of the room, "Oh God, not again." He says, realizing he's waking up from another episode.

I slide down the wall and sit on the floor across from him, trying to explain everything I can. He's just barely awake so this is useless but I want to give him some sense of security. Then, the door swings open.

I look up from my lap and Peter runs up to me, assuming I'm hurt in some way. I glance at Bucky and notice how drained he is, as he just watches the men in the doorway.

"Anna, are you okay?" Tony asks first.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine." I look up and immediately see Peter's arm. I reach for it and stand up to look him in the eyes.

"Peter, did I do that to you? I'm so sorry." He looks up to me, about to say something and then we all hear Bucky break the silence.

"Steve?" He asks, sitting up and staring at the doorway.

"Buck," Steve responds, pushing his way through the room to hug Bucky. They both seem as though a weight has been lifted from their shoulders. The men hug and Tony walks over to look at me and make sure I'm okay.