Chapter 1

It was a quiet night. Suspiciously quiet. It was scaring the people in the 'house'. No-one was fighting, no-one was cussing someone else out, just, nothing. Konan, a young female with soft blue hair, orange eyes and heavily pierced face, was almost relieved when she heard a knock at the door. 'Maybe Hiden and Kisame are back to wreak the peace' she thought opening the door.

It was cold, dark and damp outside, she heard a gurgle and looked down to see an orange haired girl, with big blue eyes cooing at her. The girl looked so innocent and tiny she doubted it had been placed at the right place.

Konan picked up the wicker basket the child was in and brought her inside. She placed her on the table and called for the rest of the residents. A young red-haired male was the first to arrive, and he looked irritated. "What is it?" He asked, glaring at her. "Hello Sasori, it's a baby" Konan replied, rummaging through the basket looking for a note and trying not to harm the baby at the same time. A tall man with long black hair, pale skin and golden eyes was next and he took one look at the child before she burst into laughter holding her cubby arms up and wriggling her fingers, clearly wanting to be picked up by him.

He awkwardly picked her up and she clasped onto a strand of his hair, gurgling and cooing in his ear. Konan continued looking for a note and found it in the pile of ragged cloth the basket was lined with. "Who'ss iss it?" The man, who's name was Orochimaru, asked. "Kisame's" she said reading the note.

A new man walked in, with green hair and golden eyes, but his skin tones were literally spilt down his middle; one half paper white, the other charcoal black, walked in at this point followed by an orange haired, heavily pierced man and a man with stitches creeping up his body and green eyes surrounded by red 'whites', the man also wore a hood and a mask over his lower face. "What's the matter Konan?" Pein, the pierced man, asked. "Kissame hass been bussy" Orochimaru said showing the three the child.

"Does it have a name?" The heavily stitched man, Kakuzu, asked. "Her name is..... Mei" Konan responded looking over the note. "Her mother's name was Kakudo" she said as Mei started yawning and sucking her thumb. "Give her here, I'll find somewhere for her to sleep" she said holding her arms out for Mei. The baby giggled lightly as Orochimaru handed her over and snuggled into Konan's arms.

"I'm going to have to go baby shopping tomorrow, Orochimaru could you look after her then?" Konan asked, she saw him nod curtly and walk off. She brought Mei into her room and placed her belly down on the bed, putting a pillow between her and the edge. She gurgled and giggled for a bit before drifting into an easy sleep, lightly rubbing her hands on her face.

~

Mei had started crying. At 3 AM. Causing a very irritated Sasori to burst through Konan's door and scream for her to shut Mei up. Which only made her cry more.

"Shut up!" Konan cried over the noise as she picked Mei up. "You're just scaring her" she said as Sasori stormed out of the room. "Are you hungry?" Konan asked. "Hm~ I better see if you are" she said walking out if the room and going to get some milk from the fridge. She put it in a cup then placed it in a heated pot of water for a while before she gave Mei it, making sure not to spill any. Mei finished the cup of milk fairly quickly and burped a few times before cooing at Konan.

"Oh! It has to be illegal to be this cute~" Konan giggled letting Mei grab into the others finger. Konan walked over to the couch and started keeping Mei from making much more noise, so the others could sleep a bit more, it was a few hours before anyone else appeared for the next day.

"Konan? How long have you been awake?" Orochimaru asked, appearing from the basement, which was both his room and his laboratory. "Since three" Konan replied tiredly. "I gave her some milk a few hours ago, so she'll be due for another soonish, just put some in a cup and slowly give it to her, also you might need to change her soon" Konan said, standing up and handing Mei to Orochimaru.

"Where are you going!?!" He asked momentarily forgetting the Konan was going baby shopping. "Baby shopping? Remember? I asked you to watch her today last night" Konan replied heading towards her room to get changed into proper clothing.

Orochimaru sat down and placed Mei on his knee, slightly puzzled by this little ball of human flesh. Mei looked up at him with wide innocent sea-blue eyes and recognised him as the man from before. "Pa-ngah-pa!" She cried in between gurgles and baby sounds. Orochimarus eyes widened, just a fraction, and he shook his head. He chuckled dully, "no, you dull child."

Mei tilted her head a little and giggled a little, as though Orochimaru had said the most entertaining thing in her life. She reached her arms out to grab him and started to slip off of his knee. Orochimaru saw this and quickly grabbed her holding her to his chest and muttering inaudible things. "Hn. Be more careful. I wouldn't want to be on Konan's bad side over her" Pein said walking into the room. "Hai Leader-Ssama!" Orochimaru hissed.

Mei suddenly whined at Pein, getting his attention. She held out her arms and wriggled her fingers. Pein looked and felt shocked. This girl, no older then a few months, was smiling at and wanting to be held by S-Class criminals.

'Ha, I admire her courage' Orochimaru mused silently.

~

Three exhausting, endless hours passed before Konan returned and by then Mei had thrown a fit because she was hungry. Orochimaru was very relieved when Konan took Mei off of him and took her to the spare room, conveniently, next to Kisame's room. Orochimaru chuckled to himself lightly before disappearing down to the basement to start working on something.

Konan set up a cot and a few toys, as well as a changing table and cupboard for Mei, all on her own. She then brought out some bottles and baby formal, and put them in the cupboard. Mei was giggling and gurgling by the time Konan had finished. She was playing with her toes and drooling all over her fist.

"Hello Mei" Konan cooed sitting down next to her and putting Mei on her lap. "Gurr hungg" Mei gurgled at Konan. "Did Orochimaru treat you ok?" Konan asked, not entirely sure how to act around the child. Mei giggled and drooled further, then yawned loudly and slowly closed her eyes, her body swaying back and forth on Konan's lap.

Konan smiled, picked her up and placed her in her cot, humming quietly as Mei slowly fell asleep. Konan smiled softly and walked back out into the living room. "Sshe assleep?" Orochimaru asked, his head appearing from the basement. "Yep, I'm going to get something to eat, then go to bed. I'll probably be up early again" she replied walking into the kitchen and starting to make dinner for the rest of the men.