the part oo2

i walk into the building with the script in hand. trying to get the last bit of studying done before i had to audition. i didn't know why i couldn't send in a self tape. as i turn the corner i see all the other actors waiting. some of them i recognize from other auditions but none i can put a name to.

"if it isn't ms. cove." i heard a familiar voice call. as i turn to face the voice i soon see that is was jonas pate. "jonas!" i walk over and give him a hug. "how are you! i haven't seen you in years." i asked him. "i'm doing great! how are you? working on anything new?" should i tell him i took a break? it might make me look less experienced. "i'm good! i haven't done much acting but lots of modeling." "that's great kid! let me check you in." that went well. "thanks jonas."

i took a seat and waited as they called in different people to audition. as i kept studying i hear people whispering. "is that layne cove?" or "she definitely has the part." or "hasn't she not done anything in years?"

i wasn't gonna let that get to me. sure it was nice to be recognized but, it could make it harder to concentrate. i was trying to get in the zone. soon enough they called my name.

"hello ms. cove!" the room was filled with directors and producers i had all seen and worked with before. suddenly i became less nervous.

"hi everyone! it's great to see you all again." "likewise. so you are here to audition for the part of maura mooney. a new pouge and jj's love interest. we will do the scene you memorized, and then a chemistry read with a new script. we also have rudy pankow here to assist you."

the blond haired boy with beaming blue eyes in the corner waved his hand over to me. i gave him a small smile and a wave back.

i did my first scene and i thought it went very well. next was the chemistry read. rudy stood up and walked over with a script in his hand. why did he need a script? he had done this at least 10 times before me.

he shook my hand and told me, "it's my first time too." after he gave me a small grin. how could this be the first time? also what does he have to worry about, he already has the part.

in scene:

jj: maura...

maura: what do you now want jj

jj: maura, i think i love you.

maura: you've got to be kidding. you think?! jj, i have told you how i felt whole a month ago and you didn't even acknowledge it! suddenly realize that you feel the same? remember when you said it wouldn't work?

jj:maura-

maura: no you don't get to talk! i agree, it won't work. jj listen-

right then and there. it happened. rudy pankow grabbed the back of my neck and pulled me in for a kiss. it might have been scripted but they all said that we don't need to kiss yet. that was supposed to be the end of the scene.

i didn't care. i kissed back. what.had.i.done. the panel applauded. now i know why i couldn't just send in a self tape. i had already gotten the role and they were just making sure.

"layne, you might have gathered this but, you have got the part!" jonas told me. i laughed a little and gave them a big smile. "thank you guys!" i then turned to rudy. "thank you." he smiled and we hugged.

i shook everyone's hand, gathered my things, and walked out the door. i started to text peter again but before i could, i heard the door i just walked out of, open. i turn my head and see the blond boy.

rudy pankow. he walks over to me. oh shit.

"hey layne, i just wanted to say sorry about that." he apologized for what he did in their. "oh no it's all good!" i stood up out of my chair. "i also wanted to say welcome to the obx family. i'm excited to work with you! if you ever need anything i can give you my number to text?" i laughed to myself. "aww thanks!" i said handing him my phone. 

he handed me back my phone and said, "it was great meeting you but i better run. i am headed to an obx get together." "you too! have fun!"

i have him another hug but then he told me "oh my god wait. you should totally come!" i did tell peter i wouldn't see him till tomorrow. "oh no i don't want to barge in on anything." "no it's probably all good. i can ask everyone right now."

rudy pulled out his phone and started to what i assume was text. "they all said they would love to meet you. i can drive if you'd prefer." i contemplated but ultimately decided it could be fun. "ok fine, but could we drop off my car at my apartment first?" rudy seemed excited. "yes of course! i'll follow you."

we walked out to the parking lot and drove away. i led the way with his car close behind. i parked my car and hopped into his passenger seat.