Chapter 2

Well fuck.

I think Im alive?

Who's in charge of this? I have some complaints I would like to make.

"(Y/N)."

Weird. It sounded like someone said my name.

"(Y/N). Open your eyes. We have business to attend to."

Business?

Oh no, is this the afterlife? Don't tell me I need to do a god forsaken job interview type situation here. Oh wait.. can I say 'god forsaken'? Is there a god? If there is, then which one is it? Uh well... either way I probably shouldn't say that, right? Better safe than sorry?

"(Y/N), if you don't open your eyes right now, I will personally ensure you learn the answer to your questions and I guarantee you won't like it."

I opened my eyes quickly, expecting to see someone standing in front of me, but instead, I saw nothing at all. It was darkness all around me, and no matter how hard I tried to strain my eyes, my vision wouldn't adjust.

"Uh.. hello?" I called out cautiously. "Am I dead?" I questioned.

"(Y/N)," the voice from earlier bellowed. It sounded dark, deep, and somewhat distorted.

"Can you stop saying my name like that dude? Oh sorry, are you a dude? Or are you just a disembodied voice? Can disembodied voices have gender? Well, I mean I guess I learned in my Spanish class in high school that anything can have gender because Mrs. Helenas said chairs are feminine in the Spanish language for some reason??? Then again she was also a white lady who taught Spanish because my school couldn't afford to hire a native speaker so I'm not sure if I should really trust what she says-"

"(Y/N), this is a serious matter and you are beginning to make me question if you are the right human for this," the voice interrupted.

Well, I've never been the right person for anything my dude soooo...

Also, I've decided 'dude' is gender neutral.

"(Y/N), I have selected you as a person who holds the potential to be of great... value. However, your life has tragically been cut short in circumstances outside of a demons control," the voice began to explain.

"Demons?" I asked, wondering what kind of weird dream I was having.

It has to be a dream, right?

Maybe someone did find me and I'm in the hospital right now.

"No. You are dead, (Y/N). This is not a dream. You are currently in a place between dimensions, if you will, similar to what humans refer to as 'purgatory,'" it explained.

"In short, I am going to enable you to travel back to the human world, a privilege that humans do not often get to experience upon dying," the voice continued.

"You've got me fucked up if you think I'm going back to that hellhole," I interrupted, wondering what this beings true intentions were.

"You have no choice, (Y/N). You have what is referred to as a 'perfect neutral' soul- not evil enough to receive punishment in the afterlife, but not quite good enough to be rewarded salvation. Instead, your soul is destined to linger in between, trapped in nothingness for all eternity. That is.. unless a demon like me is to intervene," the voice, which I now knew was the voice of a demon, chuckled darkly.

I didn't really understand any of what the demon was saying, so I decided to remain silent until he explained more.

"I have the ability to send you back. You would no longer be human, and you wouldn't be considered to be alive either. Not necessarily immortal, but far from mortal."

"What's the catch then?" I sighed, wanting to end this conversation quickly so that maybe I could get a nap in.

"You want me to sell my soul to you or what?" I questioned.

"Because if I have learned anything from my time on Earth it is to never sell your soul and to never make deals with the devil," I stated firmly.

The demon laughed.

"You humans are so interesting. Your soul is already mine, (Y/N). It's been mine for a very long time, long before you even entered into Earth as a small child, before you were born, before you were even a speck in the endless expanse of time- you have been mine."

"What are you talking about? You're not making any sense at all," I replied, my voice beginning to shake, the fear of my situation beginning to take hold.

"It is no matter. You are about to undergo a change that your mind will be unable to comprehend. For that reason, I will be sealing away your memories of this conversation as well as your memories of dying. Do not fear, your memories will be restored when the time is right."

"What are you going to do to me?" I questioned, horrified at the implications of all this.

"Give you everything you've ever wanted. The power to fight back against those who wish harm upon you, the power to help others, the power to change- to write your own destiny, the power to take control of your life- whatever it is your little human heart yearns for," it responded.

I paused to take in the words the demon had just spoken. None of it made any sense, but most of all, one burning question lingered in my mind:

"Why?" I asked. "Why are you doing this? What's in it for you? There must be some sort of fine print here that you're not sharing with me and I want to know what it is," I demanded, glaring menacingly into the darkness, hoping I was gazing in the right direction.

The demon chuckled and if I could see its face, I'm sure a nasty grin would be spread across it as the demon replied, "Because I'm bored, (Y/N), and you will make for excellent entertainment. That is all. I wish to know what a human would do if given the choice- the power- to do anything," it replied.

"Bullshit," I scoffed.

"You could find that out by looking at some rich king or wealthy person with unchecked power. You don't need to give a random human like me special powers or whatever to see that," I stated.

This demon was bluffing and I knew it.

"Mm. Perhaps not, (Y/N), but I'm going to do it anyway," it laughed.

Before I could get out another word, the demon appeared in front of me, mere centimeters from my face.

"There are a few things you should remember before I allow you passage back to the human world. The (Y/N) you have been until this moment is no longer. You will re-enter believing that you survived the car accident, but with the strong conviction that you cannot let another soul know your status of living, lest you be gravely punished for your misdoings. You will forget this interaction with me unless remembering it becomes vital. I will grant you certain abilities, of which you will have to discover on your own. Beyond those things, your fate belongs to you. I'll be here enjoying the show," the demon smiled.

Then, everything went dark.

•••
1206 words
Unedited