Chapter 5

"What does your quirk say my goals are?" Nagai said through a mouthful of curry.

Rey grimaced in disgust. She didn't know how to feel about the fact that Tesaki-kun had decided to sit at the same table as her at the cafeteria, so she ignored it for the time being and continued chatting with him. "Well," she squinted. She had come across a few people like him. Their goals were all muddled as if they didn't have any or were unsure. "You don't really have any..." she trailed off.

"Oh," Nagai said dumbly. "Yeah, that's probably right," he shrugged it off. "Hey, I still never got your name?"

"Rey Soto," Rey provided.

The two continued eating their bentos in silence and before Rey knew it, it was the end of the day and she was catching the train back up north to her house.

When Rey got home, both of her parents were already there, sitting in the kitchen. "Hey sweetie, how was your first day?" Rey's dad asked

"Alright I guess," Rey sighed, and took an apple out of the fruit basket sitting on the table. "It's a public school hero course, so you can't expect it to be too much."

"Oh well," Rey's mum paused. "We got you a gift, for your first day training to be a hero. We researched a bit on what you told us about your quirk and got you these," she smiled and held out a small tube of something.

When Rey took it into her hands, it was heavy and the cool feel of whatever was inside was telling. She hardly even needed to use her quirk to tell what it was when she opened the paper roll. Into her hand spilled out a number of shiny silver coins. She could feel the atoms almost come awake when the coins were in her hands. They were coins made out of pure tungsten.

"We figured you might be able to make weapons or other things out of them in your training, to one day use against villains," her father spoke up.

Ideas flooded through Rey's head. She had, of course, already thought of having something to do such, but having the coins in her hands pretty much put the final piece of the puzzle into place that would unlock the flood of ideas.

"Thank you," Rey could feel tears building up in her eyes. Rey's knew her parents found handling a teenager difficult but appreciated them trying their best. She hugged both of her parents and made her way to her room, still in awe of her gift.

She took one of the coins into a hand and rolled it over her fingers. It felt so well balanced. Using her quirk. She gathered up all the coins into the air and moved the atoms around until they formed a sword as shiny as the coins were. She took it into her hands and formed it back into the pile of coins, catching them in her waiting cupped hands. Rey then stretched them out into a rope of sorts and figured she could use it as a capture device to tie up villains, if she wanted to avoid conflict during a fight. Rey smiled. Yes. They would be very useful.

...

The next morning, when Rey got up for her run, she found herself excited to see her new friend ('is that even what I can call him?' she asked herself) to ask him about his first day and tell him about hers. She took one of the coins she got the day before and arranged the tungsten atoms so they were in the shape of a simple, thin bracelet that was fit only just larger than her wrist.

Rey walked out the door at the same time as 'fuck-off-kun', and as they joined up she ignored his unfriendly face and asked, "How was your first day yesterday?"

"Shit," was all he grumbled.

"Oh?" Rey made a questioning sound. "How come?"

"Stupid shit underground hero teacher and stupid quirkless Deku all of a sudden has a quirk," Rey guessed that he had been wanting to tell someone about what happened, because he was never this talkative.

"What underground hero?" Her eyes shone with excitement. Almost all underground heroes she had dug up had selfless goals, which was a stark contrast to the popular heroes. "Also, didn't know you were quirkist, fuck-off-kun" Rey scowled.

"Fuckin eraser something or other I don't know. And stop calling me that stupid name!" fuck-off-kun yelled the last sentence in her face. He seemed to be avoiding the topic of his quirkistness.

"Eraserhead?!" She exclaimed in excitement.

"Think so," he mumbled looking away.

"Yellow goggles? Scarf looking thing? All black outfit?" She eagerly pressed.

"Yup," the blonde confirmed.

"Oh my god you're so lucky," Rey placed a hand on her forehead.

"The fuck's your deal with him?"

"He's my favourite hero! His goal is literally just 'protect people'! He's so admirable!" She exclaimed.

"The fuck you talking about goals for?" He scowled.

"Oh!" Rey forgot he didn't know her quirk yet. "It's part of my quirk. I can see people's goals."

"Really?" Fuck-off-kun narrowed his eyes even more, a feat Rey thought would be impossible without closing his eyes. "What's my goal then bitch?"

Ignoring his name calling, Rey answered, "well that's easy! Ever since I first saw you you've just had 'BECOME THE NUMBER 1 HERO' screaming at me from above you," she giggled.

Fuck-off-kun just looked away and for a while the two just ran in silence. But Rey had been wanting to talk about her day too, so she spoke up. "I met a weird guy yesterday. He started off by hitting on me, then by the end of the day we were talking about who knows what like old friends. My teacher isn't all that good either, but that's because she's not actually a hero herself and is like a complete robot textbook creature. We only have 4 periods a week of actual physical hero stuff!" Rey rambled. "Oh! And my parents got me these cool coins that I can use with my quirk!" she easily turned the bracelet back into the coin it had originally been, fuck-off-kun looking over in interest as she did so.

"That the other part of your quirk?" He asked.

"Yeah," Rey smiled, happy he was actually having a conversation with her for once. He was really talkative today. "I can control anything that is classified as a metal. These are coins made from pure tungsten so I can turn them into lots of useful things."

Rey hadn't even noticed, but they had arrived back at their respective houses, and had to part ways. "Hey," Rey stopped the other teen from walking off. "Give me your phone."

The blonde reached into his pocket and pulled out the device, unlocking it before handing it to the girl. She tapped on the screen a bit and handed it back to him. On the screen was a new contact labelled "Rey Soto".

"If you ever wanna chat," she flashed him a smile before turning around and walking off.

It could've been her ears playing tricks on her, but the boy's, "sure," didn't sound as sarcastic has she was sure he meant it to be.