Chapter One

~Chapter One~

I notched an arrow, pulling the string back slowly, touching my cheek with my little finger before the arrow was off with a hum. A satisfying thud told me I had hit my target. I smiled to myself, then looked to my teacher. He nodded.

"Good. You may go home now. Remember I will be gone, so practice your sword work for the next two days. Then go back to archery. Then dagger work," he reminded me yet again. I nodded.

"Yes, Kane," I replied in the familiar dignified manner. I'd been training with him since I was eleven. He had come across my brother and I with our slingshots and had given us advice. He then offered me the place as his apprentice. My acceptance had been reluctant. Most never fully trusted Kane, as he was mysterious and kept mostly to himself. However, my acceptance of the apprenticeship had me living in the cottage next to his own for three days a week and sleeping at home for four.

I thanked him and raced home, my long red braid flying behind me. I was meant to meet up with my best friend Aifric after supper.

When I opened the door, I was immediately assaulted by the smell of food and a tiny blonde girl.

"Hey, Gen," I managed to choke out as her skinny arms squeezed my stomach. 

"Hey, Fee," she giggled. My sister, Genevieve, grinned wickedly up at me.

"Aoife?" I heard my mother's voice call.

"Yeah?" I called back. My mother entered through the doorway leading into the tiny kitchen. Her fading red hair was tied back in a bun.

"Would you finish up with the laundry? It's still sitting out back," she suggested. I nodded. I knew most girls my age were doing productive things with their day- farming, sewing, laundry- so I made up for it any way I could when I got home.

"Of course. Let me change first, and I'll get to it," I replied. I went to the small room I shared with Gen and changed into the simple cotton dress I wore at home.

Gen trailed behind me as I grabbed the woven basket of laundry from beside the house and carried it to the river. I dunked a shirt in the river, then scrubbed it with sand. This river was the one surrounding our village. The village was held in on all sides by the river; It divided at the top of the village and reconnected at the bottom. All houses backed onto the streams to provide fresh water for every household.

*** 

An hour later, I had strung the laundry across the lines, with Gen's help. Aifric had stopped by briefly to drop off a small basket of unshelled peas before continuing to her own home with a larger basket of corn. I'd thanked her as she skipped off. She'd always been bright and cheery, even though she worked in the fields.

I entered the kitchen and set the peas in the corner. 

"Ma, Aifric dropped off more peas for us," I reminded her. She turned, smiling.

"She's so sweet. Always dropping off food for us. Tell her we'll buy it from her at the market-  same as everyone else," she scolded mildly. I shook my head in disbelief, but promised to relay the message.

We worked side-by-side quietly for a while, shelling peas and dropping them into the stew boiling over the fire. 

"Have you seen Ronan yet? He's been dying to see you all week." I shook my head in response. I knew my brother would appear eventually; there was no need to go looking for him. 

Apparently, the saying speak of the devil and he shall appear rang true. A few moments later, Ronan's head poked through the door.

"Fee! You're home! You wanna help me and Gen set the table?" I glanced at my mother for permission; she nodded and waved me away good naturedly. 

"You were not much help anyway. I'll finish soon enough," she chuckled. I kissed her cheek and followed my brother.

*** 

"So, Fee, what did Kane set you up to today?"  My father asked this every time I came home. 

"Archery?" My mother asked. I nodded in response, half shoveling the soup into my mouth. She sighed. She wanted me to behave like a lady, but I saw no point, as I would be a warrior anyways.

** 

An hour later, after Ronan had finished cleaning the dishes and I had swept up, the three of us sat beside the stream.

"Someday, I'll be a princess, whisked away by a rich prince, and I'll have lots and lots of fancy dresses and shoes and have maids to do up my hair. And Mama and Dad will live in the castle with us, and so will you, Ro, and Fee will protect us and always always be there," Gen babbled on. Ronan and I exchanged glances. We both knew it would never happen. The youngest prince was two years older than Gen, and, although it was a possibility if age were the only factor, would never be allowed to marry a peasant, much less one from a village as insignificant as our own.

"Fee, did you know your eyes are green?" Gen asked in a moment of emergence from her fantasy world. Ro and I exchanged another glance- this time amused.

"Yes, I did, Gen. Did you?"

"Mmm....." was Gen's response. I smiled to myself, my eyes closing as the sun's dying rays lit upon us.

A reverbating scream pierced the air. My eyes flew open and I was immediately on my feet. Birds, startled from their perches, lazily resettled.

"Get in the house." My voice was harsh, but both kids knew it was not personal.

"Is everyone okay?" My mother appeared at the doorway in an instant.

"We're fine, but....?" I left a question at the end.

"Fee, take Ronan." I nodded at my father's words. I grabbed the bow near the door and slung the quiver of arrows across my shoulder. Ronan strapped his birthday present- a dagger- to his belt and, taking my hand, we left our home. And we were running toward the scream.

[A/N: Hello, you lot! This is the author, here. Aoife's name is pronounced like Ava, but more... Ai-fa. I won't generally include an Author's Note unless I will not be updating for a while or other such complications arise. However, I felt I should introduce myself. :) I'm Jae, or Sage, or Emma, or whatever you'd like to name me.

Your feedback is very much appreciated, so feel free to drop me a line either below or through PM. 

Thanks!

x]