01

( hallowed heart )

-same ending-

I was very underestimated by everyone, I got barely and sponsors. No one assumed the little blonde girl from district nine would win the hunger games. I was small and shy, almost used as a tactic to make people think I was scared but I was ready. I grew up with my mom and my mom only. When I was younger my mom had no choice but to work out in the fields to plant and care for the food that was growing.

She worked for hours to bring home some goods. In that time that I'd have to myself, besides school. I practiced my sword welding skills. I knew about the hunger games at a very young age and I took it serious. My mom was always harsh to me about it but it was good that she was or else I wouldn't have been as strong as I was when my name was called out. Every year since I was twelve I'd bite down hard and wait only for my name to not be called. I thought I was lucky.

I still remember it all, everything. Like it was yesterday. Even now that the games are over for me I still pay attention to every years tributes and the victors. The year after I won we had another victor in our district. His name was Braiden Stone. He was seventeen and murdered ten people. Out of twenty-three others, including the female from our district is quite scarily impressive. Younger me would fear him, but me right now admires his strength.

Since he's won his games I haven't had a conversation with him. We share nods and small caring smiles. We are to teach incoming tributes every year. I try my hardest with the tributes but I get impatient very easily and Jay end up leads them through. I've gotten quite close to her since my games. I see her frankly and she has a warmness to me. Maybe it's because I'm the only other female victor in our district besides her or maybe it's because she's the only one who had faith in me since day one. She always saw something in me.

The rest of the time if I'm not being a victor in everyone's eyes I help my mom out. She shows how much she loves me everyday. How much she cares and how little she regrets pushing me to be my greatest. I knew it broke her that day they called my name because she had no one to go run or cry to but she got me back.

This year was going to be the seventy-fifth hunger games along with a Quart Quell. Quart Quells happen only every twenty-five years. They bring a twist to the games to make them even more difficult and dangerous just so Panem can celebrate by making kids suffer a little more entertaining.

Along with the victors from last year, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark do a victors tour. I remember when I too had to do the victors tour. It wasn't as dreamy as The Capitol thought we'd think of it. They give us the tours for balance after throwing us at twenty-three other people and saying to kill them. They think the tour eases the relationship between me and them. Well it didn't. I was stubborn the whole tour. Jay kept warning me to stop. Snow already didn't like me, he never did.

Although I had my team with me. Jay, Mauve sort of grew on me. She was too chipper at times, I couldn't handle the exaggeration but it was something I got used to over the times. And my stylist Kamari. Kamari was the most gentle with me, somehow she saw past all my heartless act and looked at me as I was. A scared teenage girl.

She knew how to comfort and talk to me when the cameras weren't up and close. She also has a beautiful eye for fashion, when she first dressed me I was in a orange dress, on top of the orange was a sheer yellow linen fabric to brighten the color. The orange was shown at the bottom and on my torso. The thin yellow clothing draped over my shoulders to give it a unique touch. Some rope at the waist with fringe. Along with a beaded choker necklace. The look is brought together with my curled hair and it happens to be pinned up halfway with a plastic grain.

My makeup was bold and shiny, my lashes were long and yellow. My cheeks were more maroon then they usually should be. Kamari was so pleased to see how the look pulled together but I was stunned on how I could look so pretty.

Even now, Kamari never doubts her works on anyone she always manages to make everyone look presentable, scratch that, look admirable. Even herself she is gorgeous, her vibrant pink hair and big smile is hard to miss anywhere.

I waited in the crowd, holding my mom tight. We watched Katniss and Peeta perform a speech that was obviously scripted. Though my district knew to not interfere too much for we will get killed. My mom sighed briefly thinking as I did.
The words sounds like a robot and the sympathy felt real but it all was fake. Everyone knew it.

As the day passed and they were off to the next district, I went back home with my mom. Our house was far out in the middle of the grain fields. A handful of houses were, if your house was you were in charge of getting the grain from that section. For us it wasn't a lot because we had a neighbor not too far from us who helped a lot.

The rest of the week past and everyday was the same. Nothing for me was the same after my hunger games, everyone treated me differently and my life was different, not in a good way either. It all felt fake and it was hard to get through anything really.

I walked the streets of my local market, everyone was kind to me but they felt as if they needed to. No one actually really cared. I waited in line to get berries for my mom, we were going to make food and smash some berries and all kinds of other fruits I can get to make a juice.

I watch the small tv that was peered up on a wall, there were lots of tv's so we could watch the games but right now President Snow was giving a speech.

I watched the screen in deep focus, he was towering over all of Panem up on a podium with a microphone to his mouth. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 75th year of The Hunger Games." You can hear the crowd cheering. "And it was written in charter of The Games that every 25 years, there would be a Quarter Quell to keep fresh for each new generation the memory of those who died in the uprising against The Capitol. Each Quart Quell is distinguished by Games of a special significance. And now on this the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the 3rd Quarter Quell."

Snow switches his scripted cards to the next one. "As a reminder that even the strongest cannot overcome the power of The Capitol. On this, the 3rd Quarter Quell Games, the male and female Tributes are to be reaped from the existing pool of Victors in each district."

Everything goes silent. Everyone's eyes fall on me. It almost feels impossible to breath at this moment. I hear President Snows voice keep going but nothing can get through my ears at this moment. Nothing can register. Everything is spinning. My hands are shaking it was my reaping day all over again. My mentor Jay Evermore is the only other Female victor. The only male one is Braiden Stone, so he has no chances at getting saved. And I would not let Jay's name be picked from that bowl.

Everyone feels like they are crowding me I stumble on my way home. My mom, My mom is probably tremendously crying her eyes out. I need to find her. I need to go home.

This was happening all over again. Everything is falling apart.

_______________________
Word Count;
1406