called for help

on year later.

"val, i need your help" he sighs out over the phone. it's the first time i've heard from him in a year.

michael died and carmen went back to chicago to run the restaurant from what marcus told me

"he's runnin around here yelling out 'chef' and 'corner' he's fuckin with our system and sydney is right along with him in it-" "he's not fuckin with it he's making it better. to make his life easier just- go along with it, okay? before you know it you'll be saying the same things"

i smile at that conversation i had with marcus "val? you there?" carmen's voice comes through again "i thought i told you not to call" i stare at the ceiling of apartment, crossing my legs at the ankles as i lay on the couch "i apologized" he tells me

"doesn't mean i still cant be salty about it- what do you need?" i give in since it sounded like he had enough on his plate. in the time i've known him he's never been one to ask for help "i.. need you to help me- run the restaurant beside me... please" he exhales sharply.

i sit up, nodding my head "i uh... i can do it... i can do it" i whisper the last bit mainly to myself. i look over to the picture of myself, carmen and mikey "i'll be there tonight if i leave now" i mess with my bottom lip "the quicker the better" he says eagerly "you weren't there were you?" i ask, dropping my eyes to the floor.

he knew exactly what i was talking about as he clears his throat "no, no i wasn't. were you?" he asks "i wasn't able to make it. i had a job i was doing" i say truthfully "i uh.. i'll see you later?" i rub my tired eyes "yeah... we'll all be here" i nod my head "okay, bye" i end the call and stare at carmen's contact "fuck me" i draw out as i get up and start packing a few bags.

hours later. chicago.

i walk into the beef, automatically hearing richies voice over everyone's. the shop was closed and everyone seemed to be cleaning up for the night.

a gasp from tina cuts richie off "no way, puta" she throws the towel on the chopping station and engulfs me in a big hug "how are you?" she rocks us side to side "i'm good" i nod my head "how is my valerie?" ebra walks up with his arms wide open "she's good" i return the hug.

i'm met with an unfamiliar face "i'm sydney" she places her hand out for a shake "valerie. it's nice to meet you" i shake her hand before going over to marcus' station "hey" i place a hand on his shoulder as i walk by, heading to the office "welcome back" he smiles.

i place a few knocks on the door "come in" carmen says from inside. i take a deep breath before opening the door.

that look was already on his face. the 'million things going on at once' face that i've seen too many times "hi" i say shortly. "hey.." his elbows rest on the desk as his hands gather.

my eyes scan over the desk that's mounded with papers. my eyes stay on the desk as his scan over my face "last time i was in here this desk was spotless" tons of papers saying 'overdue' 'past due' 'notice' that i couldn't take my eyes off of "yeah i'm workin' on that" it wasn't awkward but it was quiet "i'll be in early tomorrow for prep" i knock on the doorframe before going to leave "you have a place to stay?" he asks.

i turn around slowly. i raise my eyebrows, keeping my eyes to the ground "a hotel- yeah i do" his eyes stay on me as he nods his head "cool" he turns his head, sighing as he's met with papers "i'll see you tomorrow" i say quickly before leaving his office "say hi to everyone else-" "fuck off richie!" i throw up my middle finger behind my back as i walk out of the kitchen.

everyone laughs as i walk out of the beef. i get in my car and head to my hotel. tomorrow was gonna be something else, i just had a feeling.