Chapter 15

Noori sat crouched on the breakwater and watched the sun set over the horizon. Brilliant rays of gold cut through low-lying clouds in shades of pink and lavender and sparkled off the surface of the sea. She imagined it as a painting and wondered how one might go about capturing the playful light in a series of brush strokes. She made a mental note to ask Keizsa when she saw her next. Perhaps this could be the next place they visited together.

Settling back against a large, flat stone, Noori closed her eyes and listened to the waves as they crashed against the rocks beneath her. The washing rhythm was relaxing, and within minutes she was lulled into a light doze. It had been a few weeks, but she still hadn't figured out how to balance the long nights she spent visiting Keizsa with her busy days of working at the harbor. Some nights her stays in the studio were simply spent napping by the fire while Keizsa sketched or painted nearby. It wasn't the greatest system but it didn't matter — the pair had come to enjoy one another's company so much that it didn't matter how they spent it. For Noori, it was enough just to be in the same room with the witch.

The napping was rare, however. For the most part, the two spent their time talking, laughing, and telling stories. Noori did most of the talking, regaling Keizsa with stories of her day or the ins and outs of running the harbor while the witch worked through her spell commissions. Keizsa was a curious listener, asking interesting questions at all the right times.

Other times they would busy themselves around the studio cleaning, stretching canvas over frames, or visiting new places through the magic of Keizsa's enchanted murals. Noori would suggest a place and then spend the hours cuddled up with Luck, watching Keizsa work and listening to her talk about magic and art. The witch had even started teaching Noori how to draw and paint; what Noori lacked in natural talent, she made up for with tenacity and an eagerness to learn.

"Noori?" 

The sound of Toddrick's voice startled her awake. She sat up with a yelp, and Toddrick snorted with laughter.

"You scared me!" Noori pouted. "I didn't even hear you coming."

"It was probably hard to hear me over your own snoring," her friend teased, settling down onto the stones beside her. Noori swatted his warm lightly with the back of her hand.

"I've changed my mind," she said, fluffing her hair with a dismissive huff. "I don't want to see you after all."

"You've always been a terrible liar, you know that?" Toddrick replied with a grin.

Noori acted as though she was offended. "Rude! I swear, I'm not really sure if you deserve your birthday present now."

Toddrick's face lit up. "You remembered!"

"Of course I remembered," Noori replied defensively. She was stung by how genuine surprised he seemed. "We've been friends our entire lives, Toddrick. Why would I start forgetting now?"

Her friend's bright smile sagged. Toddrick averted his gaze and stared out across the water, running a hand through his tousled sandy hair the way he always did when he was uncomfortable.

"You've just been a bit distracted lately, that's all." he said.

"Oh, Toddrick," Noori groaned. "Not this again."

"Am I wrong?" he needled. "I mean, just look at you! All this sneaking out at night is obviously starting to take its toll — you're exhausted."

"Okay, that was actually rude."

Toddrick let out a frustrated sigh. "I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just—"

"Worried about me." Noori finished. "I know. And for the millionth time, you don't need to be! Besides, Keizsa's my friend and this is the only way I can spend time with her. And look at this!" Noori reached behind the stone she was leaning against and pulled out a wide, flat package wrapped in paper and string. She handed it to Toddrick, who accepted it with a wary look.