Chapter 43: And that's the way I loved you

I checked the window and Evelyn was right, the boy was gone. As I gazed out of the window, searching for any sign of hope, my heart sank. The once-familiar neighborhood now appeared desolate and engulfed in darkness, mirroring the grim situation we found ourselves in. The absence of the boy, who had briefly given us a glimmer of hope, only added to the overwhelming sense of despair.

The surrounding houses remained shrouded in darkness, devoid of any signs of life or assistance. It was as if the world outside had turned its back on our plight, leaving us to fend for ourselves on this ominous night. The flickering streetlights offered little solace, casting eerie shadows that seemed to mock our desperate situation.

The tension was growing inside the room, weighing heavily on our spirits. The uncertainty of our fate loomed ominously, casting a shadow over any flickering hope that remained. Each passing moment felt like a battle against the encroaching darkness, both literal and metaphorical. I couldn't think if we could survive the night if we could see the next morning if I would die here, at the same house I killed someone.

We looked back at the door, they were pushing it harder, even though I couldn't see the condition of the lock holding the door, I could imagine it won't hold longer. And within a moment the lock was broken. We heard it. Now the wardrobe was holding the door.

As the intruders relentlessly pushed against the door, their determination grew evident with each passing moment. The feeble resistance provided by the broken lock was the only barrier between us and the impending danger that lurked outside.

"Hold it," I said and All three of us started to push the wardrobe so that our survival can be a little longer.

With bated breath, we strained against the weight of the wardrobe, desperate to buy ourselves a little more time. Beads of sweat formed on our foreheads as we pushed with all our might, pouring every ounce of strength into this futile attempt to keep the intruders at bay.

But despite our efforts, the inevitable became apparent. The gap between the wardrobe and the door grew narrower as the intruders continued their relentless assault. Panic and fear seized our hearts as we realized that our defense was crumbling before our eyes.

We saw one leg of the intruder get through the gap in the door and we started to scream.

In a desperate act of defense, I shouted, hoping that someone, anyone, would hear our cries for help. The open curtains and the illuminated room served as a beacon, a desperate plea for attention in the darkness that enveloped us. We longed for a passerby to notice our plight, lend a helping hand, and save us from this nightmarish situation.

Yet, the silence of the outside world mocked our cries. It seemed as if our pleas were swallowed by the vast emptiness that surrounded us. The realization that we were truly alone in this fight gnawed at our spirits, amplifying our desperation.

As the intruders pressed forward, their relentless force finally breached the gap. One of their legs slipped through the opening, a chilling reminder of the imminent danger that awaited us. Fear coursed through our veins as we grasped the severity of the situation, knowing that our time was running out.

Realizing that simply pushing the wardrobe would not be enough to defend the intruder's strength. I quickly scanned the room for a more formidable weapon. My eyes landed on a large, heavy flower vase sitting on the table, its solid ceramic structure offering a potential means of defense. With a surge of determination, I snatched it up, feeling its weight in my hands.

Positioning myself near the door, my heart pounding in my chest, I steeled myself for the confrontation that was about to unfold. The figure clad in black persisted in their relentless efforts to push the door and get to us. I knew what I was doing. I got ready to hit the person in black attire trying badly to get inside the house.

"No" Abhimanyu screamed and snatched the vase away from my hand.

"You are not doing it again. You are already in a lot of trouble for defending me and you." He said pushing the wardrobe with his back.

"It's either me or all of us. I'm already a suspect and going back to jail anyway. I don't want to let ourselves killed right now just because I have to stay out of more trouble stopping from going to jail. I'm already a criminal." Saying this I tried taking back the vase from his hands but he was in no mood to give it back to me.

"See Abhimanyu, we are already in big trouble, I don't see anything beyond this. I will go to jail, but not die today, or let you die today, they already hurt you. They have to pay it back" I was almost shouting at that time trying to take back the only weapon I could see to use. Our eyes locked and finally, the man got into the room. Abhimanyu pushed me and smashed the vase on his head. The vase broke into pieces making a huge mess.

"Noooooo" I screamed. "Please don't die" I added in a soft voice. I saw blood coming out like a pool of water from his head.

And then the wardrobe fell, and two guys stood in front of us with guns pointed. At that point, I knew it was going to be the end, at least for me, it's the end. I raised my hands in surrender and tears started to roll down my eyes.

"Please let them go, I was the one to kill Shivani. I know you came for me. Let them go away and kill me. I was the one to blame. I'm sorry. Please let them go. Don't hurt him anymore" I said in a low voice with the hope that at least I could save him, again. One of them approached me with his gun. He was so sure of shooting me. I looked into Abhimanyu's eyes and said, "I love you, I always did. All these years" and then I heard 2 loud gunshots. With that sounds in my ears, I closed my eyes.