Chapter 1

Narrator's pov:

One day, on a very quiet day, there was noise coming from what looked like ruins of a house destroyed by bombs.

Two young people came out of a trap that was buried underneath debris. They looked very similar, in fact, they were twins. There was a boy and a girl named Sam and O (short for Olivia). They have been hiding in a bunker for five years. Their parents forced them to go in it at the beginning of the war, before everything went out of control.

Unfortunately, their parents did not hide with them...

As they were coming out the bunker, they got blindsided from the day light. Since they have been used to the small lamp in their bunker which doesn't enlighten a lot, the sudden brightness hurts their eyes. After being used to the clarity of the outside world they could finally take notice of their surroundings: nothing.

Nothing was left...

They couldn't believe it. Only a couple of destroyed houses and buildings, that used to be their neighbourhood, remained here and there.

Suddenly O ran out of the bunker looking around to be able to see if there was truly nothing around them and started crying. She then fell on her knees, completely overwhelmed.

Sam did not know what to do. He was so confused, sad and mad about what was before them. He walked up to his sister's side and tried to calm her. At first, he didn't manage but after holding her tight against him and saying reassuring words, she calmed down but still had tears running down her cheeks. Her tears were strange and cold - exactly how she felt at that moment. Her brother had trouble containing his own tears because of the emotions that were overflowing in his heart.

~~~~~~~~

They stayed like that for a few hours not wanting to face their new reality. It was starting to get dark so they finally came back to their senses and walked towards the bunker in order to go back in.

It was quite wise of them since we never know what could be out there at night...

If you are wondering how it's possible for them to breath with all the radiation in the air supposedly released by the bombs, well you've got to know that five years after the explosion of a nuclear bomb, the air is supposed to be breathable. Sam, who was a nerd, knew that, and that's why they came out. It also means that if there is anything, like plants, that was in the soil and needed oxygen to grow, it could begin its growth. If it managed to stay alive for the last five years that is...

As they went in, they made sure to lock the trap well so that nothing could come in. Both decided that the day had been too emotional and they were exhausted so they just felt the need to go to bed without talking to each other.

~~~~~~~~

As Olivia's breathing was slowing down, Sam understood that she was falling asleep. Him on the other hand could not.

"It was a long day...", he thought, "I can't believe that after 1827 days we come out to that. Our house, neighbourhood, town and probably even the earth: everything is destroyed!"

He finally let his tears run down his face, sobbing as quietly as he could so that he didn't wake his twin up. Memories from his childhood started to come back to the surface of his mind, not making him feel any better and making him regret his choice of listening to his parents even more. That choice being getting inside the bunker and leaving them outside to die alone when they could have all died together. He missed them so much and had no doubt that his sister too. The feeling was so intense it hurt him physically.

He was so focused on his pain that he did not realise he was falling asleep as well.

~~~~~~~~

Sam wakes up feeling very excited and immediately thinks about his sister: it is their birthday today! He can hear his parents down stairs preparing the meals of the day since they have family coming over to celebrate their 10th birthday. His stomach growled in hunger when he smelt the nice sent of pancakes being cooked for their breakfast. His father's pancakes are THE best! As he knows that he can't eat them until everybody is awake, he goes to O's bedroom and knocks on her door like Anna in Frozen:

"Do you wanna eat some pancakes! The best ones in the entire world! (Imagine the rhythm of "do you want to build a snowman"). Come on, you know that I can't eat any if you're not up! So get up you lazy head!"

"Uggggghhhhh... I'm up! Leave me alone!"

"Okay but hurry up, I'm hungry!"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever..."

He goes back to his room to get changed and goes down in the kitchen to eat. As he is walking down the stairs, he can hear other voices than his parents'. Arrived at destination, it is with no surprise that he sees his parents with visitors: his mother's sister and her husband.

"Oh, hello darling, happy birthday!", his aunt says.

"Hi auntie Jenny, thank you! Hi uncle James!", he responds with a broad smile stuck on his face revealing his dimples on each side of his mouth. Of course he doesn't forget his parents: "Hi mom and dad !".

"Good morning sweetheart, happy birthday!", Emma, his mother, answers.

"Hello to you too my birthday boy!", Tom, his father, says not facing him as he is cooking the famous pancakes.

"So, did you sleep well? How does it feel to wake up a year older?", uncle James asks.

"Um, I slept well but I don't feel much different really, just very excited!", his nephew answers laughing a little.

At that moment they hear footsteps coming from the living-room on their right. Two young children walk through the door and jump on the young boy.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!", they both say at the same time laughing and pushing each other so that they can be the first one to give Sam a proper hug.

"Lizzy, Zack!", their cousin says trying to hug them at the same time so that nobody gets jealous.

"Where's O?", Lizzy asks.

"Still in her bed", the brother says with a dramatic sigh.

"Oh! I'll go wake her up."

"No need, she's already awake but just too lazy to get out of her bed !", he scoffs.

"I'll tell her to hurry up then!", and of she goes up to her cousin's room.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hellooo! So, this is my first story, I've already published it before but a few years ago and I re-read it not long ago and I hated it... So I decided to re-write it and here it is!

Tell me in the comments what you think about this new start!

Goodbye <3