❀ | Chapter II: Drama at the Dinner Party | ❀

Entry 23:

'True love cannot be defined. It looks different depending on the perspective. This was the kind of love that my wife's parents had. Her father became a shapeshifter, making himself part scarecrow and part human. Her mother loved him for the way he was, but he seemed happier being able to be both. I have to say that this was a good decision, for the love of my own life wouldn't be here without it. However, in doing so, his life ended sooner than it should have. To him, living the long life of a usually magical creature wasn't as important as being able to have all of the experiences that every human desires.'

'Sometimes you must sacrifice a lot for the one you love, but others can forget that this is a necessary part of marriage.'

⋯⋯⋯💙⋯⋯⋯

"Everything needs to be perfect for this ball tonight. Nothing can go wrong." The Guardian of the Throne murmured. He was going around checking that all the golden utensils were perfectly polished and that the flower vases had the same amount of water in them.

Jellia Jamb, the head maid and now the Guardian of the People, rolled her eyes at Omby while mopping the emerald floors. "You need to calm down, Omby. You know that His Majesty doesn't care about such small details. Besides, you're technically doing my job."

The captain turned to the maid and scolded her. "This is the way it has been done since Pastoria! My father told me when he was training me all those years ago. You never do it right."

"Faramont, please come over here and leave your assistant watching the gate." Jellia said through her communication gem. " Omby is being a control freak again."

"I'm not a control freak for wanting things to be done correctly." The captain replied, sounding annoyed.

The Guardian of the Gates heard their small squabble and entered the ballroom, trying to keep the peace. "Can you two please stop bickering over how hunks of metal should be cleaned? The ball is going to start soon, and I don't think you want the guests to see you fighting!"

"I know, but I just want to make sure the king is happy." Omby clarified. "I care about this dinner too, and I do think our most likely future queen deserves a nice send-off."

"I do too, but you always worry too much." Jellia replied, going back to her mopping. "The forks, spoons, and knives are fine. I promise you, and if someone complains, I will take responsibility for it."

"You both are finally seeing it my way. The right way!" Faramont chuckled while both Jellia and Omby went back to work in a huff.

When Faramont started to walk away, Jellia stopped him by pulling on his jacket. "Oh no, you aren't just going to criticize us and not pull your weight." She put a duster in his hand. "Get dusting."

⋯⋯⋯💙⋯⋯⋯

"Are you planning on putting your dancing shoes on tonight, Dor?" Scarecrow teased while putting on his slightly-curled boots.

"You know I don't dance alone." Dorothy replied with a sly smile while brushing her hair. "So, you will have to put on your dancing shoes too!"

"Well, I'm only promising you one dance, and that's it." He got up from an armchair with a dramatic sigh. "I hate all the fancy dancing..."

"Oh? Would you rather jump around in a cornfield again?" She was teasing him back. "I think I would prefer that form of dancing too."

A pink blush spread across her husband's face. "Oh! Definitely not. I'm too old to do that now."