Chapter Sixteen

"Dunepaw," came the familiar voice

"Dunepaw," came the familiar voice. It called his name again, urging him to wake up.

I know that voice. It's...

"Dunepaw, it's sunhigh, so wake up," Tideclaw demanded softly. "We need you to tell us where Hickorystar is today."

Dunepaw wedged his eyes open to see the tall silhouette of his father standing in the entrance of the Healer's den. The camp's stone surface was glowing in the sunhigh sun behind him.

"Go on," Riverpelt whispered to her son.

With simple encouragement from the cat he laid next to for the past two days, during wakefulness or sleep, Dunepaw left the den to stretch in the hot sunlight.

His heart jumped when he saw two cats sitting in the ravine with other LightClan cats: Otterstar and Burnetstream. He hoped he would never have to hear their mews again, other than the once-a-moon Gathering. Yet here they were, raking claws of nervousness down his back with only their eyes. How could he have challenged those cats in their own territory only to shirk from their gaze today? It was like his attacks were strange dreams, but the scratch on Burnetstream's muzzle that Dunepaw gave remained, revolting against the warrior's dark fur with bright pinks of healing wounds.

Her eyes leaped to Otterstar when he cleared his throat.

"Tideclaw, will LightClan offer warriors to help capture Hickorystar?" the massive leader asked.

Tideclaw nodded. "Nettledusk and I."

"Good," the leader said with a dip of the head. "Could LightClan spare a Healer for the travels? Ours is... busy and has no apprentice."

Mealyface nodded her paling tortoiseshell head. "I must continue to work on Riverpelt's injuries. Sleepypaw can go. He knows his herbs and procedures well."

Tideclaw bent his head to Slatepaw and asked her to find the Healer apprentice. She bounced up with exhilaration and began to enter and exit every den in a flash.

"With so many cats going, I don't think Hickorystar can be such a threat," Lurkingstar stated. "Would a Healer even be needed?"

Otterstar turned to Dunepaw. "That's what we should ask him."

Dunepaw's eyes jerked to his paws to avoid the StormClan cat's gaze, then he heard Burnetstream mumble something under her breath. His green eyes relaxed and he raised his chin when Tideclaw sat less than a whisker beside him.

"Tell us, Dunepaw, does Hickorystar have any cats guarding him?" Tideclaw asked, his voice softer than cotton and feather bedding.

"Uh... no. It was just him and me," Dunepaw answered, forcing the volume of his voice to remain audible to the large group of senior cats.

"So we walk into his nest and drag him back home. Easy," Burnetstream remarked, the aggressiveness in her voice shooting a memory across Dunepaw's mind.