𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏

The familiar scent of freshly grated carrots filled the cozy kitchen of Martinez's house, intertwining with the warm vanilla notes as Skye prepared her significant carrot cake. The kitchen was bathed in soft morning light, casting a gentle glow on the white marble countertops. Skye's silky black hair was tied up in a loose bun, and she does a little dance in his favorite linen white dress while humming softly to Lana's song; Young and Beautiful.

His parents are out to their little date so she takes this alone time to enjoy herself. The oven times goes off, Skye eagerly grabbed her oven mitts and rushed to the oven. With a gentle pull, she opened the door, revealing a perfectly baked carrot cake. The golden crust shimmered under the kitchen lights, and the aroma of cinnamon and nutmeg filled the air. Carefully, she placed the cake on the cooling rack, marveling at the way it had risen beautifully and developed a lovely golden-brown color.

The kitchen seemed to glow with pride as Skye reached for the cream cheese frosting, she had prepared earlier. With a steady hand, she spread the thick layer over the top of the cake, savoring the smooth texture and the sweet tanginess of the cream cheese.

"Perfect."

Skye stood back and admire her cake once more. Even though, this is not the first time she makes it; the satisfaction she got every time the cake was perfectly baked is indescribable.

The kitchen gleamed, devoid of any lingering traces of baking, as Skye expertly sliced the delectable carrot cake. With utmost care, she placed the luscious slice on a pristine glass plate, their vibrant colors contrasting against the transparent surface. Filled with anticipation and a heart full of kindness, Skye stepped outside, making her way to the neighboring house that exude an air of sweet nostalgia.

Within those walls, reside the gentle soul known as Mrs. Kadin- a beacon of warmth and compassion. Though she often found herself in the solitude of her own company after his husband passed away, Mrs. Kadin had gracefully embraced a life of independence, for her children had settled far away in foreign lands, visiting on rare occasions.

She rapped on the door twice, her knuckles gently striking the weathered wood, and patiently awaited the sweet old lady's arrival. The door swung open, and to her surprise, it revealed the face of an unfamiliar man. Skye's stared at the man's face and saw the resemblance between him and Mrs. Kadin. However, as she looked up at him again, she sensed a tinge of annoyance etched upon his features.

"Yes? Who are you?" The main inquired with a brusque tone, his words laced with impatience.

Caught off guard, Skye extended the plate of cake toward him, her voice faltering slightly. "I live next door; this cake is meant for your family to enjoy. Its –"

Before she could finish her sentence, the man abruptly interrupted her, his curt tone cutting through the air. "Thanks." And with that, he swiftly closed the door, leaving Skye standing there, her heart sinking at the man's action.

As she strolled back to her own dwelling, Skye couldn't help but mull over the stark contrast between Mrs. Kadin and her son. The gentle and sweet nature of Mrs. Kadin seemed worlds apart from the bratty demeanor displayed by her son. Lost in her thoughts, Skye wonders about the origins of his irritable attitude.

"Poor Mrs. Kadin," she murmured softly, a sympathetic shake of her head conveying her empathy and concern.