Chapter 13: They Know

~~

"So we know, brothers and sisters, that no one is truly good." Reverend Grimshaw looked somber yet determined as he spoke from the pulpit. "Yet know this, that He who died for our sins is the one who can make us righteous in the eyes of God." There were a few murmurs and "amens" echoing in the sparse congregation. "None is greater than the other, but we are all one in Christ."

"That really how it works?" Mary-Beth whispered to me

"That really how it works?" Mary-Beth whispered to me. We were in the very back pew by ourselves. "Y'all believe this Jesus died, and that's how you get to Heaven?"

"A little simplified, but... yes, essentially." 

"But what if you've done some awful things?" 

"Don't matter. Well, it does matter of course," I continued, seeing her shocked expression, "but really, anyone can repent and be saved. It's an issue of the heart, as my Daddy told me."

"So you ask for forgiveness for somethin' and it's just... gone?"

"Pretty much." I shrugged. "But the idea is to not do it again as best you can, or else you're really just paying a fine to commit the same crime again. Plus, it don't really undo the hurt you caused, so you still get consequences. It just relieves some of the weight, knowing you can try again."

"So--"

"Shh!" A man who was sitting with his family has spun to us, a finger to his lip. I felt like I shrunk in my own skin. 

"Sorry!" I whispered back, and he turned around with a huff. Mary-Beth and I looked at each other and giggled like schoolgirls caught by a teacher. 

"Not sure how I really feel 'bout all that, but... the thought is nice," Mary-Beth mused seemingly to herself, even quieter than before. 

As the sermon ended, and I was answering a few more wordy questions from my friend, I hadn't noticed the preacher make his way over to us

As the sermon ended, and I was answering a few more wordy questions from my friend, I hadn't noticed the preacher make his way over to us. "Ms. Monroe!" He beamed at me. I spun quickly to him and shook his hand, my cheeks flushing with the sudden call. "And who have you brought with you today?"

"Mary-Beth." To my relief, she stuck out her hand with a smile. "Mighty fine to meet you, Reverend. I know another Reverend myself, and he seems much different than you."