Chapter 23

"A private house, a private beach... no one'll ever find us!"

Taylor grinned.  "That's the idea."

They were two weeks into their honeymoon, and Damien flashed a grin of his own as he opened a long case.

"Is that a rifle?"  Her eyes widened.

"The Ruger American Standard," he said proudly, cradling the black and silver weapon, "is a bolt action semiautomatic rifle, and this son of a bitch...". He made sure is was completely empty of bullets.  "...is chambered for a .30-06 Springfield round.  It has enough stopping power to take down a full grown buck."  He grinned as he looked through the attached scope.  "And oh, by the way... I love venison."

Taylor giggled.

"Wanna hold it?"

Taylor gently took the rifle, testing its weight.  "You know I'm not a hun but... but I have to defend myself, especially since you saved me from that stabbing two years ago today."  She drew her own weapon, a small pistol, from a holster hidden in her dress.

"I'd know that hun anywhere!  That's a Beretta 92FS!"

"Same as you."

"Damn shame my old M9 is government property.  But it'll do."

"The fact remains.  Taylor Thorndyke is packin'!  No one's gonna kill me."  She holstered her weapon.  "Oh, it just occurred to me."  She wrapped her arms around Damien's neck.  "I missed my period.  I haven't had one for a month and a half."

"You think I mighta had something to do with that?"

She nodded.  "I'm heading to the hospital quick... I need to be sure about this."  She walked out the door.  "I'll be back soon."

Damien flopped onto the bed and sighed.  Megan joined him, loafing on his chest and beginning to purr.  As he petted the calico, he smiled.  "Whaddya think, Megan?"

Megan let out a lazy meow.

"Yeah you're right.  I'm taking a nap."  He sighed again, drifting off after a short while.

He woke up in an entirely different place... his childhood bedroom.  He turned his head, another familiar sight greeting him.  A blue-eyed brunette was sitting by his bedside, smiling.

"Hey," she said softly.

Damien smiled.  "Megan?  Jesus, it's been years... you died..."

"Shhh...". She pressed a finger to his lips.  "I know... but I've been watching... I'm so glad you found happiness."

"I named my..."

"Cat after me."  She chuckled.  "Yeah.  I know.  She's very cute."  She smiled again.  "You married a celebrity, of all people... God, you're an Army Ranger!  Look at you."  She sighed.  "I can't believe I was killed and missed it."

"Come on, Meg... you and I both know..."

"God has a sick sense of humor," they both intoned, laughing.

Megan smiled as they shared a long, sweet kiss.  "I think your wife's back."

Damien smiled.  "Don't make me wake up... come on..."

But wake up he did.  When he opened his eyes, Taylor, tears in her eyes, burst through the door.

"What's happened?"

Taylor clung to Damien like he was the only real thing in the world.  "Damien..." she said thickly.  "I'm pregnant..."