19 - Tents And Talks

"So you're leaving in two days?" Rye asked Harriet as we walked over the place.

"Yeah." Harriet shrugged. "We've got two tents for y'all. Four in one, five in the other." We stopped at two big, brown tents in front of us. "These. Brenda will stay with Mary. Decide who stays with who, and enjoy." Then she walked off.

Nervously I stood there, waiting for someone to decide who would sleep where and with who, and of course, Jorge took the lead.

"Teresa, Jane, Cyra, and I will sleep in this one. Thomas, Frypan, Rye, Newt, and Minho in the other." He decided without discussing it.

Minho suspiciously stared at Jorge. "Why do you, an old man, want and get to sleep with all the girls?"

"So hormonal teenage boys like you don't do anything." He replied simply, crossing his arms at Minho, who seemed taken aback for a second.

The feeling of having to sleep with Jorge in one tent didn't give me much comfort, though a part of me knew Jorge was one of the good guys.

"I don't think it's a good idea Jane stays there," Newt admitted, glaring at Jorge.

"He's right," Minho added. I knew Minho definitely had different intentions than Newt on that part.

"Yes." Rye agreed.

Cyra sighed. "Maybe you should let Jane decide for herself." Then she walked off to her assigned hut.

They all turned to me and in just a second, my cheeks turned red out of embarrassment. How the hell was I supposed to choose? Staying with Minho, Newt, and Rye would be awkward, but a little more comfortable, though I would also like to get to know Jorge and the girls better.

"Well?" Minho impatiently asked.

"Uhm, I don't know." I bit my lip.

Minho's eyebrows furrowed. "You don't know?" He seemed offended like the choice would've been obvious.

"I'll stay with Jorge." I decided. Jorge was nice, while the three boys would probably only argue, stay close to me, and ask something every three seconds. Well, Thomas did the last thing too, but those questions weren't about me, luckily.

Their faces dropped. Newt was full of worry, Rye was in confusion, and Minho turned pissed, bothered, offended, whatever.

"Are you sure?"

"Why?"

"We're not hormonal."

"Not at all."

"We won't touch Jane."

"Never done before."

"And also not cuddle."

"Definitely not."

"Enough." Jorge interrupted. "She chose what she liked."

Before one of them could argue, Sonya walked over to us. "Jane?" She raised her eyebrows. "Mary wants to speak to you."

My mouth opened to answer, but Newt, Minho, and Rye already did it for me.

"Why?"

"To where?"

"With who?"

"How long?"

"Can I come with her?"

"Did you get Jane's permission?"

"What are you going to do with her?"

I sighed loudly and followed Sonya, slightly fluttered by the boys, but also bothered. They shouted some last things to us, we walked over to another tent, Sonya opening it for me and letting me in.

"Hey, Jane." The woman from earlier, who I assumed was Mary, greeted me. "You can sit down." She motioned at a chair next to Thomas.

I did as she told me quickly and looked around. It looked a bit like the Med Hut in the Glade, but a little more professional, with all kinds of liquids and tubes on a desk and good-looking beds.

"Is she okay?" I looked at Brenda, whose breaths were calm and her eyes closed.

"She'll be fine for a few months," Mary assured.

"A few months?"

"The serum I gave her won't last forever. It's not a cure, just a medicine." She explained. "But I wanted to talk about you."

I swallowed. "About me?"

The spy thing was not exactly my favorite subject to talk about and I wondered if I would make it out of the tent without crying.

Mary gave Thomas a sweet glance. He got the assignment and left the hut, so Mary and I were alone with the sleeping Brenda.

"I remember what they were doing," Mary admitted, her soft eyes meeting mine. "Trying to get you to be a spy."

"Well, it worked," I grumbled under my breath.

"I know." She sighed and straightened her back. "But before that, they would do all these tests on you to see if you could do it."

"But I couldn't." I realized. "So why did they send me? They would've known, right?" The questions just came out my mouth automatically. I needed answers.

"They saw your relationship with Newt." Mary started. Before she even got the chance to continue, I interrupted.

"If they saw my relationship with Newt they would've realized I couldn't do it." I blurted out, the upsetting things that happened coming back to me, making me a bit pissed.

"Now that's the thing. They thought your brain patterns would be better." Mary explained calmly, though her eyes were worried. "And turned out, they were indeed better. So they kept adding more, and more."

I bit my lip and tried to keep my emotions in me, which was hard. "What kind of tests did they do before the maze?" I tried to change the subject.

"Images of something happening to your friends so you would do some simple tasks, about your past, awful stuff.. just for you to follow their orders, so they could see if you could do it." Mary paused and averted her eyes for a quick second.
"They noticed how you would go to Newt after every session, cry in his arms, sometimes even cry together.. and they ruined all that."

I let out a sob, the tears pricking in my eyes.
"And what about Minho?" Again, I hoped changing the subject would stop me from crying.

Mary squeezed her eyelids closer together and tried to remember. "Yeah, I think you got a pretty good bond with him too. I remember all too well how you two loved it when you pissed off the doctors."

I sniffed and let out a chuckle, my pain covered in it. "I can imagine that, yes."

"He would always tease you with being the only girl, but shot daggers at any other boy in the cafeteria when they got close." A small smile grew on her face.

My cheeks got a bit red. "He still does that."

"He still likes you." Mary corrected with a wink, causing me to turn fully red. "But.." She cleared her throat. "It all was very sad to watch. Seeing them get taken away from you for three years. You watched them every time you got the chance."

I nodded weakly. "Thanks for telling me this all."

And then the conversation stopped just as fast as it started.