Chapter 3

After 3 days of just dogfighting practice without having to do the pushups, they sat in old airliner seats, eyes on the screens. "Time is your greatest enemy. Phase one of the mission will be a low-level ingress attack in two-plane teams. You'll fly along this narrow canyon to your target. Radar-guided surface-to-air missiles defend the area. These SAMS, they're lethal. But they were designed to protect the skies above, not the canyon below," Maverick started, pointing to the presentation screen showing the schematics. "That's because the enemy knows no one is insane enough to try and fly below them," Bradley spoke up. "That's exactly what I'm gonna train you to do. On the day, your altitude will be 100 feet maximum. You exceed this altitude... Radar will spot you and you're dead. Your airspeed will be 660 knots minimum. Time to target: Two and a half minutes." Ria gave Elliot a sidelong glance. This mission was going to be hard on their bodies and they haven't even learned the objective yet. "Fifth-generation fighters wait at an air base nearby. In a head-to-head with these planes in your F-18s, you're dead. That's why you need to get in, hit your target, and be gone before these planes even have a chance of catching you. This makes time your greatest adversary. You'll fly a route in your nav system that simulates the canyon. The faster you navigate this canyon, the harder it'll be to stay under the radar of these enemy SAMS. The tighter the turns, the more intensely the force of gravity on your body multiplies, compressing your lungs, forcing the blood from your brain, and impairing your judgment and reaction time. So for today's lesson, we're gonna take it easy on you. Max ceiling: 300 feet. Time to target: Three minutes. Good luck," Maverick finished explaining.

"Time to target is one minute 30. We are two seconds behind. Increase to 480 knots," Denver advised. "We got to move, Fritz," Ria called out. They had been paired with Fritz for the first run. "Copy. Increasing speed." They were coming up on a tight curve. "Oh!" Fritz grunted, starting the turn too fast, and slammed on his brakes. "Oh, shit!" Ria hissed pulling up so she'd avoid crashing into him. Beeping sounded, alerting them to the fact that they broke the ceiling and were 'Killed.' "Why are they dead?" Maverick asked the group when they were back in the classroom. "We broke the 300-foot ceiling, and a SAM took us out," Ria said stoically. Maverick shook his head turning to Fritz. "No. Why are they dead?" he asked. "I slowed down and didn't give her a warning. It was my fault," he said immediately. "Was there a reason you didn't communicate with your team?" Maverick asked. "I was focusing on-" Maverick cut him off. "One that their family will accept at the funeral," he said rather harshly. Ria's jaw clenched. "None, sir," he said, looking down at his hands. "Why didn't you anticipate the turn? You were briefed on the terrain," Maverick asked turning to Ria. She opened her mouth to speak but was stopped short. "Don't tell me. Tell it to his family." She didn't say anything, choosing to instead look down at her lap. Elliot took her hand in his and gave it a reassuring squeeze, silently telling her that it was just a practice run and that they'd get it next time.

"Hangman, ease up. The canyon's getting tighter," Payback called out. "Negative, payback. Increase your speed," Hangman's arrogant voice came through the speaker. "You're going too fast, man," Fanboy said. "No harm in being ahead of schedule," Hangman stated simply. "Damn it, slow down! I can't stay on the course!" Payback yelled. "You're gonna hit the wall! Watch out! Watch out!" Fanboy yelled before there was silence as they were 'killed.' "What happened?" Maverick asked when they were back in the classroom. "I flew as fast as I could. Kind of like my ass depended on it," Jake said. "And you put your team in danger, your wingman's dead," Bradley spoke up. "They couldn't keep up," Jake said simply and Ria shook her head disappointedly at his words.

"Rooster, we're 20 seconds behind and dropping," Yale called out. "We're fine. Speed is good," Rooster responded. "Increase to 500 knots," Yale said. "Negative, Yale. Hold your speed," Rooster ordered. "Rooster, we're late!" Harvard yelled. "We're alive. We'll make up time in the straightaway," Rooster told him. "We are not gonna make it," Yale argued. "Just trust me. Maintain your speed. We can make it." Jake gave Ria a pointed look and she sighed. When the three aviators were back in the classroom Maverick pointed at the time. "Why are you dead? You're the team leader up there. Why are you- why is your team dead?" Maverick asked. "Sir, he's the only one who made it to the target," Phoenix defended him. "A minute late," Maverick sighed. "He gave enemy aircraft time to shoot him down. He is dead." Bradley shook his head. "You don't know that." Jake turned to him. "You're not flying fast enough," he told him. "Man, on the day, the canyon will be tighter, we'll be pulling even higher G's, and the missiles will be real," Javy chimed in, backing him up. "You don't have a second to waste," Jake finished. "We made it to the target," Bradley argued. "And superior enemy aircraft intercepted you on your way out," Maverick said. "Then it's a dogfight," Bradley said simply. "Oh Jeez," Elliot murmured from beside Ria. "Against fifth-generation fighters?" Maverick asked. "Yeah. We'd still have a chance," Bradley told him. "In an F-18?" Maverick narrowed his eyes. Bradley leaned forward in his chair. "It's not the plane, sir, it's the pilot," he said. "Exactly!" Maverick exclaimed. There was a moment of tense silence. "There's more than one way to fly this mission," Bradley says finally, leaning back in his seat. "You really don't get it. On this mission, a man flies like Maverick here, or a man does not come back. No offense intended," Jake said looking at Natasha, Callie, and Ria. "Yet somehow you always manage," Bob said leaning forward from his seat beside Nat. "Look, I don't mean to criticize. You're conservative, that's all."

"Lieutenant," Maverick warned. "We're going into combat, son, on a level no living pilot's ever seen. Not even him. That's no time to be thinking about the past." Ria's brows furrowed. "What's that supposed to mean?" Bradley asked. "Rooster," Maverick says trying to get his attention. "I can't be the only one that knows that Maverick flew with his old man." Ria sent Jake a warning glare. "Don't go there, Jake," she said. "That's enough," Maverick said trying to diffuse the tension. "Or that Maverick was flying when his old man..." Jake trailed off. "Lieutenant, that's enough!" Maverick shouted as Bradley lunged, grabbing for Jake's collar. In an instant it's chaos. "Oh yeah, you mean like how you were with Rhett when he went down," Bradley yelled. A few gasps rang out from the other aviators. "That's enough!" Ria yelled getting in the middle of the two, shoving Bradley away from Jake, allowing those closest to them to grab each of the men and hold them apart. "You son of a bitch!" Bradley yelled, pointing at Jake. "Hey, come on!" Rueben yelled keeping a tight grip on Bradley. Jake chuckled brushing the ones holding him back off, "I'm cool, I'm cool. Hey, hey." Ria was glaring daggers at both of them. "That's enough," Maverick said looking each of the aviators in the eyes. The room was filled with heaving breaths for a moment. "He's not cut out for this mission," Jake said. "That's enough!" Ria hissed at him. "You know it. You know I'm right," Jake said to Maverick before walking out. "You're all dismissed," Maverick said waving them off.

Ria took a moment to herself in the women's locker room, trying to will the few tears that had begun to gather in her eyes away as she leaned against her open locker. There on the door of her locker were pictures of her and Rhett, one of them on a carrier and another of them at Top Gun. What Jake had said was wrong but it was also a low blow for Bradley to counter Jake's words with those of her brother. Some days it's easier, but on days like today, the grief that came with losing her other half hit her particularly hard. Her phone buzzed and lit up the inside of her locker. Come home tomorrow. Ria's brow furrowed as another message came through. That's an order. The young ones want to see you. She shook her head before replying back. Yes sir. Goodnight Dad, I'll see you tomorrow.