2 | Old Friends

5 February 2022 - Saturday

I was in my studio when I heard familiar footsteps drawing near. This room used to be an oversized walk-in closet, but since I didn't, and never would own that many clothes, Claire renovated it with windows all around for good ventilation and a sink where I could clean my painting supplies. If I wasn't outside, exploring the woods, I was in here, painting.

''I apologized to Kamala. Is all forgiven?'' Elvin asked, stepping into the room. Technically, I forbade him to come in here since he was always knocking things over, but that has never stopped him before, and I was sure it never would. 

''Not unless you're planning on treating her like that again. You either treat her like an equal, or you get out of both our lives,'' I told him as I focused on the painting in front of me. Kamala texted me yesterday, telling me about how Elvin showed up at the house she was cleaning, and apologized for what he said to her. 

''I know, and I'm sorry. I'm not excusing my behavior, but I was stressed out,'' he said, running his hand through his hair. He still looked stressed, and I knew it was probably because of his sister. Teri Matthews wanted nothing more than to get out of Fort Oakley, even if it meant dropping out of school and running away from home. 

I couldn't blame her for wanting out of this town, but when she upped and left, their parents would force Elvin to bring her back home, and according to him, she didn't come back without a fight. She was currently in the wind again, something that I learned happened when Claire and I were still at her cabin.

''All negative things aside,'' Elvin said, leaning against the wall next to me. ''There's a party this coming Friday at Sully's house. You coming?''

''You know I'm not, Elvin.'' He always invited me to parties, and I always declined. He kept on asking me, hoping that one day I would say yes. 

I didn't plan to.

''Why?'' He whined, sounding like a little kid. 

''Because I don't like the deafening music, you know that.'' Ever since the accident that caused me to lose my memory on the night of my twelfth birthday, when I heard loud, continuous sounds, like music, I would zone out and lose awareness of the world around me, like I was in a catatonic state. When I would return to normal, my head would be pounding, and I would be confused about where I was, because each time I would 'enter' one of these catatonic states, it felt like I was someplace else.

Dr. Mallory and a brain specialist in his practice did numerous tests after Claire noticed this about me, and while they couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, the specialist said it was most likely due to the brain damage I got on the night of the accident. 

Claire and I accepted it and moved on with our lives, but I've avoided situations that would cause these states ever since.

I also just didn't like most of the people around my age in town, so I avoided social settings where they would be present if I was able to. 

''Come on, please? Have some fun for once,'' he begged.

''Yeah, Charly, go have some fun,'' a new voice said, and I looked at Claire, who was standing in the doorway. At least she respected my dislike for people in this room, even if it was her house. 

''This-'' I said, motioning to the painting in front of me with my paintbrush. ''-is having fun. Besides, I won't have time since I'm finishing the painting for Alyson.''