Kelly

The moment Malcolm arrived in the mainland of Costa Rica, he was told by a worker named Eddie Carr that he couldn't shave three days off his deadline and expect everything to be ready. However, Malcolm was hardly paying any attention to the man, he was trying to get the phones working in case anything goes wrong. He went as far as banging it against the RV, "Don't do that" said Eddie, "You gotta baby it a bit. You gotta love it"
"I will love it when it works" said Malcolm
"It'll work when you love it. Let me do it"
Once the mathematician hands over the phone to Eddie, a van pulls over to reveal the second member of the expedition, Nick Van Owen, wildlife photographer and assistant to Laureen Adams. "Thanks for the two-minute warning, Eddie" said Nick, grabbing his equipment from the back of his van. The young photographer not only did wildlife, but he also happened to be an activist every once in a while.

Before Malcolm could ask about Sarah and Laureen, a girl around the age of 12 appeared beside the mathematician. This was Malcolm's daughter Kelly, a talented gymnast and very bright for her age. However, Ian had to tell Kelly she wasn't coming with him. He tells his daughter to stay with a woman she barely knew. Kelly wasn't so keen on the idea, especially when this 'Karen' woman didn't have a Sega and was described as a troglodyte.
"Cruel, but good word use" said Malcolm, impressed by his daughter's vocabulary.
"Why can't I stay with Sarah or Laureen?" asked Kelly, "I know you and Laureen haven't spoken in a while but she's cool"
"Uh, because Sarah and Laureen are out of town. Karen's fantastic"
Malcolm goes on about how Karen would take Kelly horseback riding, go to the movies, and overall fantastic time. Kelly wasn't having it, begging for her father to stop saying the word 'Fantastic' in one whole sentence.

"Where are you going anyway?" she asked
"It's only for a few days" Malcolm reassured his daughter, "But I wouldn't be going if it wasn't, uh, really important"
"I'm your daughter all the time. You can't just abandon me whenever opportunity knocks"
Malcolm was rather hurt by Kelly's words, wondering if her mother told her to use them. Eddie calls for the mathematician through the P.A. as Malcolm gave the man a wave to wait a moment. "Sweetie, I know we've had some hard going, but in the last couple of years we've really, uh, started working out" said Malcolm, "Hasn't it been better?"
"Yeah, but I want to crack on me a bit, ground me, send me to my room" said Kelly, "You never do any of that"
"Wh-why would I? Cause you turn out to be so, uh, beautiful and brilliant and powerful and funny and generous? The queen, the goddess, my inspiration"

Eddie was growing impatient as he called for the mathematician once again through the P.A. Kelly said she could go with her dad as a research assistant like their trip in Austin. Malcolm tells the girl that this was much different than Austin and twice as dangerous. The moment he mentioned gymnastics, Kelly tells him that she suddenly got cut from the team after training for months. This left Malcolm speechless, feeling sorry for his little girl knowing how much it means to her. Kelly on the other hand wasn't having it and said with a straight face, "You like to have kids, but you don't want to be with them, do you?"
This made the mathematician a bit angry, telling his daughter not to take it out on him after being dumped in Paris. Kelly stood silently as Malcolm apologized and said, "You want some good parental advice, don't listen to me" before leaving her to check on Eddie and Nick before departure.