Part 3 - Look At The Flowers

The last few months had been rough for everyone; the hoard was successfully redirected but they had lost members of the community in doing so. A larger community of survivors had been keeping close tabs on the Hilltop and attacks had become frequent until it had all come to a head and what could only be described as a battle of life and death had broken out. It had taken weeks to repair all the damage, burn the dead and get back a feeling of safety again.

The pantry store was once again full, everyone had worked overtime to replenish stolen or damaged supplies, injuries were healed and with the hot summer weather everything was again calm at the Hilltop.

Daryl and Jesus had been trying to plan a small picnic for at least a week and finally everything had fallen into place for it to happen.

Daryl had worked hard on repairing his bike; it had taken longer than he had wanted but with everything else that had been happening, finding parts had become next to impossible. Jesus had been trading with other local communities to secure the final wires and pipes that Daryl had needed.

"You ready to take a ride?" Daryl smiles to Jesus.

"I'm ready. Are you?"

Daryl nods and smiles widely at the bike; his pride and joy only second to his boyfriend.

"If it came to saving me or the bike.... Which would you choose?" Jesus laughs.

"Ooh... oh that, that is a tough choice but... I guess I'd have to choose... hmm.... Yeah I'd choose you." Daryl laughs with him and wraps an arm around Jesus' waist, pulling him close and kissing his cheek.

The pair set off out the gates and Daryl can't help but smile at the sound of his bike; smoother and quieter since being fixed, it wouldn't draw any extra attention. Jesus gave directions from his position riding pillion and Daryl happily took them until they reached a large open meadow with a waterfall and clear river running through it.

The bike rumbled to a stop and went silent as Daryl shut it off "how did you know about this place?"

"Found it on some extended recon a couple of weeks ago and made sure to find it on our maps." Jesus grins and lifts off the picnic basket he had packed. "Thought we could do with some nature.."

Daryl climbs off and walks with Jesus to the side of the river where they set out a blanket to lay on. "I don't think I've ever seen water so clear."

"No pollution, nature is looking after itself again... I think there's a cut out behind the waterfall too... wanna go for a swim before we eat?"

He didn't need asking twice; Daryl stripped off his clothes and left them in a pile on the blanket as Jesus did the same, both heading to the water and shivering as they dipped their feet in.

"Oh shit that's cold!" Daryl grumbled "colder than the showers at Hilltop!"

"Suck it up.... We'll warm up later." Jesus took a breath and slowly wades into the water, making high pitched noises as he submerges himself fully. "Ffffuuuuck! Water is great!"

Daryl laughs and leans on a large boulder on the side "great huh?"

Jesus narrows his eyes and quietly swims over, grabbing Daryl's wrists and pulling him in before he could do anything to stop it from happening.

He yelps as the cold water covers him and comes up gasping "god damn that's fresh!"

"Told you the water was great!" Jesus laughs and splashes Daryl before heading for the waterfall and checking to make sure he was following.

The water was indeed refreshing and the longer they spent splashing around and play-fighting the quicker their bodies became accustomed to the temperature; the sun helped as it shone directly over them at midday and had warmed the water.