Chapter 7

Over the next few weeks, as they sailed toward their destination, Alice and Cyrus grew incrementally closer. They became comfortable in their routine and looked forward to the days they spent together. On her days off, Alice typically either spent time in her room, reading, or was on the top deck, soaking in the sun and sea air. During these times apart, Cyrus found it difficult to focus and often became distracted by his thoughts, which were always of her.

Alice also began to become friendly with a handful of the crew mates. The deck hands told her countless stories from their time at sea, Henry showed her his endless cache of maps from different parts of the world, Jonathan instructed her on the various types of equipment used on board. This unlikely crew had begun to feel almost like a family to her.

While Cyrus was glad to see her so at home aboard his ship, he couldn't help but feel that slight pang of jealousy whenever she spent time with anyone other than him. His feelings for her had only grown in the last weeks, and as she opened herself more to him, his desires multiplied. She no longer flinched when he touched her, and he found it increasingly difficult not to.

On one of these routine days, while the two suppered, Cyrus nervously cleared his throat.

"I have something for you," he said, holding out his hand.

She gingerly placed her hand in his, curious as to what he meant. His hands enveloped her wrist, making her panic for a brief moment before he released her entirely. When she glanced down, she saw a simple silver chain. On it was engraved the same sigil he always wore on his breast. The little silver sun shone in the fading sunset light.

"This way, everyone will know you belong to me." Cyrus twiddled his thumbs anxiously. "Do you like it?"

"It's beautiful," she assured him, toying with the dainty bracelet that now adorned her wrist. Even if it marks me as a slave, she thought to herself.

Still, she had never expected to be gifted something so pretty, especially from him. She flashed him a grateful smile.

    Cyrus had purchased the charm in Linia weeks ago and had debated day in and day out whether he should present it to her. He knee what it would mean to her, what it cemented. She was noe branded as property, as his. Even if he did not particularly enjoy the thought of her being perceived as lesser in some way, he wanted the world to know that she was under his protection. She was now untouchable. Safe.

    Despite the unspoken understanding this gift represented, she seemed pleased enough. He had tried to choose something pretty, something he hoped she would be happy to wear regardless of its meaning.

    He had also worried about another implication that came with this gesture; this was the first instance he had given her a gift. It is true they had grown closer by the day since she first came aboard, and he had started to teeter on the edge of friendship or pushing towards something more. Yes, she had kissed him, and yes, she had become comfortable being in close proximity with him, but she was still so fragile, so...scared. He did not know much of her past other than it had obviously traumatized her, and he had no intention of causing her any further distress. But seeing her smile, seeing the light that danced in her eyes as she beheld the silver bracelet, it made him want so much more. More than just chaste glances. More than just sitting next to her as they worked. More than the rare chances in which he was brave enough to touch her.

    He knew, as his servant, she would have to comply if he ordered her into bed. He knew she would have no choice but to please him in any way he saw fit. But just the thought of her unhappy, of causing her pain or heartbreak...it was too much. If they were to engage in anything more intimate, it would have to be by her choosing. She would have to be the one to initiate any further advances.

    It would kill him to wait, but he had made up his mind. In the meantime, he would show her nothing but kindness and joy. He would show her the wonders of the world on their journeys, serving her in whatever ways would make that bright smile alight her face.

    The sound of a throat being cleared shook them both from their respective thoughts. Jonathon stood in the doorway to the galley, rocking unsuredly on his heels. He had obviously interrupted something with his entrance and was undecided on whether he should proceed or simply duck out before he was spotted. He did not have to wait long, however, as the captain rose from his chair, apologized to Alice for cutting their meal short, and followed his first mate out into the hall.

    Alice sat for a moment longer, admiring the band upon her wrist. She knew Cyrus had meant only well with the gift. He would never seek to hurt her feelings in any way. So, instead of looking at it as the classifier it was, she chose to view it as just another piece of jewelry. She would wear it, for his sake, even if it troubled her mind to do so.

    Before she headed to her chambers to rest she decided to help the crew clean up after the meal. She was fussed at, constantly being told that it was unnecessary and that she was not obligated to do such a thing, but she wouldn't hear of it. She intended to earn her keep on board more than just being the Captain's pretty decoration. Realizing they weren't going to get anywhere arguing with her, the kitchen crew allowed her to wash a few dishes. They sang as they cleaned, and she quickly picked up on the chorus, singing jauntily along with them.

    Once they finally were able to shoo her from the kitchen, she began to make her way back to her room, humming all the while.