Cadet Corps

5 years had gone by since the infamous night, both of the were now 15, Joseph and Historia had effectively gone into hiding after it near Trost. Historia took a new name in case her father was still looking for her, she went by Christa Lenz now. But when in private Joseph still called her by her real name. The two took odd jobs just to get by. Joseph still did his monthly hunts though so he could survive and he also continued his training, he even trained Historia a little. He also got in a lot of training with his titan as well. In a sort of funny way the fact that Joseph was a ghoul actually helped them survive, since after all Maria came down food prices rose a lot. But since Joseph didn't eat human food any money they got could just be used to buy her food and they didn't need to worry about Joseph.

During their time together Joseph never did tell Historia about killing her family or that he now held a titan. Also during their time together Joseph never confessed his feelings to Historia, even though he loved her he was just never able to find the right time. Historia also never told him about her feelings for him either. They still were very close though and both fully intended to uphold their promises to protect each other. Joseph still wanted to join the Scouts as well, his resolve to join them only hardened by the fall of Maria, the death of his parents, and the near death of Historia. Joseph was tired of just doing odd job after odd job, he had the Founder and his ghoul abilities, he wanted to put them to good use for something he believed in, and he wanted to uphold the promise he made to his parents that he wouldn't abandon his goals. He wanted to build a better world, he was going to do what Frieda did not, save everyone.

So after they turned 15 the two joined the Cadet Corps, although Historia wasn't exactly sold on joining the Scouts she was brought around to joining the Cadets. So with great pride the two signed up and were shipped to the training grounds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now he and Christa and all of his fellow recruits were all standing in rows in the courtyard of the training camp in their new uniforms. Joseph had literally fought countless titans in his life, he had stared death in the face, even beaten the queen of the walls in a slug fest, he thought nothing could scare him. But he was proven wrong by a menacingly tall, bald, and extremely intimidating man that walked the lines.

Shadis: STAND UP STRAIT YOU RATS!

Each of them quickly adjusted their spine to make it as straight as possible. Joseph was definitely scared of Shadis, he just let off a scary aura and no one wanted to be at the receiving end of it. Everyone was absolutely terrified that they would be his next victim as he randomly interrogated some and skipped over others.

Shadis: MY NAME IS COMMANDANT SHADIS! YOU MISERABLE PIECES OF FILTH ARE MINE FOR THE NEXT THREE YEARS!!! YOU WILL DO WHAT I SAY WHEN I SAY! ANYONE WHO CAN'T LISTEN WILL BE SENT TO THE FIELDS! ANYONE WHO ISN'T UP TO THE TASK WILL BE SENT TO THE FIELDS! I HOPE YOU MORONS ARE READY TO BE WORKED TILL YOU DROP! IF NOT YOU'LL BE SENT TO THE FIELDS! IF YOU'RE LUCKY AND UP TO IT THEN JUST MAYBE I'LL MAKE SOLDIER OUT OF YOU!

After listening to Shadis's speech which only served to frighten the Cadets more, Joseph looked around at the rows he could see. From where he was standing he couldn't see Christa since she was a row behind him. However right in front of him was another blonde girl, only she was taller, Annie Leonhart was her name. He made eye contact with her, he figured why not and gave her a small smile. She did not return the favor, instead she just gave him a kind of dirty glare. Getting her message Joseph looked around at some other people. He could hear Shadis interrogating one poor soul named Armin, head butted a horse face naked Jean, as well as just terrify a few others.

Shocking literally everyone, a girl named Sasha ate a steamed potato during the line up and even offered Shadis half when confronted. He promptly crushed the potato in his fist and made her run laps until the sun set.