Chapter 3

The alarm goes off, waking both of them at five in the morning. Being in the fifteenth district, it takes two hours by train to get to the hero HQ, and while Grayson's job starts at 9, the interviews start at eight, and he wanted to accompany Mare.

Mare quickly pulls on some high-waisted skinny jeans and a white sweater. She desperately wants to wear pink, since it calms her, reminding her of Techno, but she doesn't think it's as professional looking as white. 

So instead of that she puts on simple pink rose quartz bracelet that Techno had gotten her just before they split up, matching one she got for him, somewhere in the world, and a pale pink pair of converses.

Might not be the most professional looking clothes in the world, but it's what they can afford so. Do what you gotta do.

Ok never mind she really needs Techno vibes right now this is a nerve-racking situation. She changes into the pink sweater.

She heads out into the main room, and is greeted by Grayson in his uniform, which consists of black pants, a black shirt with the hero logo printed over the heart, black running sneakers, and a black utility belt with a bunch of different mostly non-lethal weapons.

"Ready to go Gray?" she asks, and he nods, handing her an energy bar while eating one himself. Yum, breakfast in the life of those who don't make enough money to feed themselves properly. Pog.

They head out the door, and the rest of the journey blurs. All Mare knows is that it takes a really long time. To her at least, because she has absolutely no patience with things like that.

She stands staring up at the shining tower, there in all its glory, mouth slightly agape.

Grayson, who sees the tower every day, chuckles slightly before leading Mare inside.

She snaps out of whatever awe she was in the moment she crosses the threshold of the tower, taking everything in around her. The front desk is just ahead of them, a girl with slightly wavy carrot orange hair and bright green eyes. She has a huge smile on her face, despite the amount of people she probably has to deal with each day, and her name tag reads 'Clementine'.

To the left is a sitting area, with couches and a TV that has the news playing. Behind that, separated from the sitting area by a half wall, is the elevator. To the right of the main desk is a waterfall of sorts, dark rocks with plants growing along them, water flowing through a slight depression in the center of the stack of rocks, lights glowing from beneath the water.

Grayson led the way to the front desk, greeting Clemintine like he must have done hundreds of times before.

"Hey Clem! How're you doing?" he asked, smiling slightly. Clemintine grinned brightly back before answering.

"I'm doing great, thank you Grayson! Why are you here over an hour early?" she questioned, tilting her head a bit to the side.

"My sister here, Marcella, was going to apply for the internship. I figured I might as well travel with her since I'll be here soon enough anyways."

Clemintine nodded in understanding before pushing an ID card across the desk to Mare.

"Well nice to meet you Marcella! I'm Clemintine, as you probably guessed. This is your ID card, it will give you access to the floors for the interviews today only. You start on floor 36. Good luck!" she smiled, waving happily after them as they headed to the elevator, after thanking her of course.

Mare's eyes flickered nervously toward the elevator. She was not a fan of small spaces. Not before everything happened, since she was an avian living in the Aether, she was almost always able to see the sky, and walls were usually open to the world around them, and especially not after, not when she was stuck in that tiny cell for 4 critical years of her life.

"I'm going to take the stairs," she whispered quietly to Grayson. He shot a worried glance her way, but he knew her fear of enclosed spaces like that, and so nodded hesitantly.

He stepped towards the elevator while she took off up the stairs, clearing the 36 floors in about five minutes. She was pretty used to taking the stairs.

When Mare stepped out of the elevator, Grayson was waiting for her, and together they stepped into the waiting room.