VIII. Who Can You Save?

September 29th.

The duo tiredly trudged up the asphalt ramp and took a right on the main street, heading for Evelyn's close friend, Robert Kendo; Chris introduced the two to each other after Evelyn decided to permanently stay in Racoon City. Most STARS members went to Kendo for all things firearm related. He was the best gunsmith around.

He was even nice enough to craft a custom made handgun for Chris, that was given to Evelyn on her 21st birthday last year. It was the one she had now.

"Uhm, sorry about your truck..." Leon apologized awkwardly as they walked side by side.

"It was a piece of shit anyways," Evelyn replied, trying to ease his guilty conscience.

Leon glanced at her with a small smile on his lips, though it went unnoticed as she stared up at the darkened sky. They had made it to the gun shop, but Leon kept walking forward when he finally noticed the enormous hole in the road. It looked like the city had dug it up, with scaffolding and traffic cones set up around it.

Evelyn walked to his side and glanced down, discovering the hundred foot drop. Her mouth ran dry at the sight and she took a big step back.

"Do you think this is what Ben talked about in his recording?" Leon wondered curiously.

"It's the only sink hole in the city, so..." Evelyn began to wonder how close Umbrella really was. What if she could go down there and look for them? What if she could bring justice to the victims of their heinous crimes?

What if I could save them?

But with wondering came self doubt. What would she even do if she found the lab? What would she look for?

What about Caroline?

"C'mon, we're here," Evelyn announced, pushing aside her thoughts. Leon followed behind her as they walked to the gun shop on the corner of the street, lit up with a neon red and blue sign.

Evelyn leisurely pushed open the doors and walked inside, with Leon's flashlight providing her vision. Her brows furrowed as she took in the state of the shop.

Wooden were shelves thrown to the floor, and thrashed boxes of bullets scattered the scuffed floorboards.

Her mood began to slowly plummet at the thought of Kendo no longer being here. But she told herself it was for the best for his and his daughter's wellbeing. 

Leon shuffled over to the shelves on his left, discovering an extended barrel for a shotgun. "Your friend wouldn't mind if we take anything, right?" he asked while inspecting the part.

Evelyn held her arms outward in an uninterested manner. "I don't think he's even here anymore." She blew out a puff of air. "Looks like we're walking..."

Evelyn then walked to the back left corner of the store, finding a flashlight on the ground in the process. After making sure it worked she glazed over the barren shelves to find anything of use. She paused when noticing a small note left on the middle shelf.

She gingerly picked it up and read it. It's from Jill... The short letter reminded Kendo that she would be evacuating civilians at the subway station. Jill also encouraged him to forget about his 'other arrangements' and go with her.

Carlos was telling the truth...

Hope filled her mind now that she wasn't blindly following a lead anymore. All they had to do was get to the station and they would be set and ready to go.

Evelyn was shaken from her thoughts when she heard a familiar, gruff voice commanding Leon to leave his shop. She swiftly turned to her left, finding the blonde with his arms raised in surrender, facing the open shutter in the back of the store.