You're Toast

[Y/N] sat in the empty house, with the only sounds that could be heard were whatever TV show the boy switched on to fill the quiet void and the gentle purrs of the family cat that lay across his lap. [Y/N] eyes were unfocused as he lazily stared at the TV while his hand limply rested on the cat's back, he had been like this for hours, unmoving, as still as the hot summer air. He'd almost forgotten about his parents and what they'll do when they find out about the incident at work, he'd almost forgotten the envy he felt when he saw the Belcher kids interact with their parents. The memories and worries returned when he heard the all too familiar sound of the door of a Mercedes being slammed, [Y/N] blinked his eyes forcing them to focus before fear forced him to stand, picking up his cat in the process. The boy made sure to switch off the TV and remove any evidence that he was here, he then bolted upstairs to avoid his mother.

[Y/N] eventually reached his room, closing the door just as the front door downstairs opened, he placed his cat on the bed before allowing the upper half of his body to flop down next to her, his knees keeping himself up. A smile pulled at his lips as he stared at his cat's face, [Y/N] could never take Burmese cats' faces seriously lifting his hand he gently pet her dark brown fur.

"Have I ever told you that you're my favourite family member, Toast?" Even if toast could understand English, she probably couldn't hear her owners' muffled question as his face was semi-planted in the bedsheet. Toast rubbed her face into his hand before finding a comfy place to curl up on[Y/N] his back, the boy didn't seem to mind as he carefully retrieved his phone from his apron pocket and doom scrolled to pass the time. [Y/N]'s fought the need to close his eyes, the soothing purrs of his cat only amplified the drowsiness he felt, he soon gave up, giving in to the want to sleep.

The aggressive buzz of his phone woke [Y/N] up from his nap, he stretched his back, noticing it now lacked a cat before looking at the caller ID, it was Bob, confused [Y/N] groggily answered the phone.

"Hello?.. Gene?" [Y/N] was surprised to hear his boss's son on the other end of the phone,he turned around, so his back was facing his bed before sliding down to stretch his legs out trying his best to get rid of the numb feeling in them from sitting in that position for so long.

"Why do you have your dads phone?"  [Y/N] rubbed the tired from his eyes and tried his best to pay attention to the kid speaking to him, "okay, what? Tell me what happened again."

"So! It turns out there's this exotic eaters club that wanted to try the human flesh burgers that people thought dad was selling"  Gene was sat in his room with his dads phone pressed firmly against his ear, "[Y/N] are you even listening?" 

"Gene, give me back my phone"  Could be heard from the next room over, "no, I'm talking to [Y/N]!" Gene yelled in reply, causing the person on the other side to hold their phone away from their ear. Bob's phone was eventually returned to it rightful owner.

"Hello, [Y/N]" a tired Bob greeted, pinching his nose, "Sorry about Gene bothering you so late."

"It's fine, don't worry about it, Bob" an equally tired [Y/N] replied "How did everything go today? Gene tried to explain it to me, but it sounds a bit too unbelievable".

"Don't worry about that, just know we don't serve human meat, and we now have the lab results to prove it," Bob answered, relaxing back onto his couch, "and you're welcome to come back to work tomorrow." Relief washed over [Y/N]'s body, most people weren't excited or relived to be told they have a shift tomorrow, but most people didn't get to work with Belchers.

"Okay sounds good, goodnight Bob"  an exhausted grin was sloppily draped on [Y/N]'s face as he heard the chorus of "goodnights" from the background of the call, even Louise said goodnight which was complete unexpected even with the progress the two had made that day.

The phone call ended and [Y/N] was alone once again, the warm feeling in his chest chilled and his lazy grin fell into a ridged frown. He doesn't understand why he feels this way, why did the Belchers have this effect on him? It had only been a week, and it felt like he could drop his guard around them. Tears gathered in the corner of his eyes and his hands squeezed so tight into a fist until his knuckles paled, a scream bubbled in his throat, but he knew better, he knew that on the other side of his bedroom door sat three people who would rather enter a screaming match then help [Y/N].

So he kept quiet, stuck his phone on charge, crawled into bed and waited for tomorrow.