Part 10

Kelly stood outside of Med, looking up at the sky, which was tar-black, and the large clouds that were moving closer. The tapping on the ground was light, and then it became a pitter-patter. People ran for cover outside, and umbrellas were opened as the clouds spat out their beads of water. Puddles began plinking as the rainfall became heavier. Kelly stood there, allowing the rain to soak him.

A strong gust of wind blew against his face. Bright, flashing lightning lit up the sky like fireworks, banging, crashing thunder roaring furiously, sizzling, electrifying lightning zipping across the sky.

Boden happened to look out the window and saw Kelly standing motionless in the storm. "Severide, what the hell are you doing?" Boden asked as he pulled him back inside Med. "Are you trying to get struck by lightning?" He questioned him, looking at him like he was insane.

Kelly didn't respond or move; he just stood there. He looked so broken and lost.

Boden took a moment to observe him; he was drenched by the rain. His face was expressionless, but the heartbreak reflection in his eyes told Boden that something was wrong. "Severide, what is going on? Is Stella, okay? Is it the baby?"

It was then that the rest of the firehouse noticed Boden and Kelly standing by Med's entrance. They slowly walked over to them.

Kelly's eyes connected with Boden's; his voice is hoarse, but Boden and the rest of the firehouse heard him say "I'm going to lose my wife, and there is nothing I can do to save her." He had a lump in his throat and was blinking away the tears. He felt like someone had ripped his heart out and tossed it across the other side of the room. There was a burning, agonizing pain in his chest.

Stella played with her wedding band as she wondered where Kelly was. It's been an hour since he said he needed air. She knows he's angry, and he's hurting. She wants to comfort him. She wants to convince him that she is making the right choice. She has been crying non-stop since he walked away.

"Knock, knock," Brett said as she walked into the room. "Are you up for some visitors?"

"Of course." She says this as she clears her throat and wipes her tears. She gave them a fake smile. She watches as Brett, Violet, Casey, and Boden enter the room. She was hoping Kelly was behind them, but no such luck.

" Maggie said that you can receive visitors, but only four at a time. " Brett said as she looked down at the floor.

Stella watched her for a bit, then looked at Violet, who was also looking at the floor. Casey and Boden were both standing with their hands in their pockets; they both looked devastated. She sighed. "I take it you guys know about my situation." She said this, noticing how they were all acting.

"We do," Casey says. " Maggie filled us in. "

"Severide told her it was okay to tell us; I hope you're not upset that we know," Violet told her.

"Is Kelly still here?" she asked, looking at Casey.

"Of course, he is." Casey's eyes met hers surprisedly. "Where else will he be?" He asked as he watched her play with her ring. He looked over at Brett, who also had a confused look on her face.

"Girl, you know as long as you're in here, that man isn't going anywhere," Violet said.

" She's right; he wouldn't leave years ago when you were in here after that hotel fire, even after he was banned from the hospital. He stays outside, worried about you." Casey says she gave him a little smile.

"And that man lived in this hospital after the explosion; he never left your side," Brett added.

Stella closed her eyes as she remembered Kelly telling her. I'm not going anywhere. But she's afraid that this time he won't be back. He hates her too much.