Chapter 7: Cold to the Touch

"Quit telling me what to do!"

Ash continued to carry the man down through the submarine as his crutch. "Would you stop squirming around? You're gonna make me drop you. Then you'll really be in trouble." She snapped at the angry captain. "Now, where's your bedroom?"

"You're not gonna take me there!" He yelled with a dust of pink on his cheeks from her question. "Take me to the library."

"Is there a couch in there?"

"Yes...?" He answered confused.

"Alright then, that's fine. You can sleep there then."

"FOR THE LAST TIME I'M NOT SLEEPING!!" How could she just boss him around like this? He was not having it. "Now get off me! I can walk on my own." He pushed the girl away in an attempt to take back his control. He stood on one leg and used his sword to balance the numb side of his body.  "How humiliating..." he thought with a scowl.

Ash watched this hopeless man, taken aback by his change in personality. For the whole time she has known him, Law was a calm and collected man. Seeing him like this...was really surprising. "You asked me to show you." She shrugged. "And this is what you get for cutting me up. An eye for an eye, my friend. Haven't you ever heard of that?"

"Shut up..." He spat, wobbling as he walked-or I guess hopped. "And I put you back together! I have to stay like this for 2 hours! How is that fair?"

"Cutting someone to pieces versus just numbing a side of your body...seems like you got the better end of the deal to me." She answered plainly.

Law was seething with anger. This woman was no longer any fun to him. If anything, she was a nuisance. "Next time we dock you are leaving." 

Ash was stunned. This wasn't just playful banter anymore. He really was mad...she didn't mean to anger him this much. Was he really this upset by this? Her heart twisted in guilt, but she didn't fully regret what she did. You don't just go around cutting people up unannounced. "I'm sorry. I said I would leave anyway, so no worries." She walked up beside him getting a look at his scowling face. He didn't say anything back and continued walking away from her. Ash considered whether to leave him alone or not since she didn't understand why the captain was so angry. Was he really this sore of a loser? Or was he upset about something else? She decided she would follow behind him just in case. The man was rude, but she still appreciated him for saving her life. Not to mention she was still curious about him. 

Law continued to ignore her as he hobbled in the direction of the library. A suffocating silence surrounded them besides the noise of their footsteps echoing down the passageway. His brain buzzed crazily at what was happening at this moment. His chest pinged with pain with each heartbeat, and his jaw ached from how hard it clenched. At this time, Law had no understanding of this strong feeling that was overtaking him. Right now, he only knew he was frustrated by this woman he saved that was now giving him orders. No one gets to order him around. 

Moments later the pair reached the door to the library. Before opening the door, Law looked over his shoulder and glared at the ivory woman. "Get back to the infirmary. I don't need you."

"My things are in there, right?" She calmly asked. "I won't bother you anymore, I promise. I just want my things. That way I'll be ready to leave." 

Law sighed. "Fine." He forcibly kicked the door open with his usable foot. 

Upon entering, Ash's eyes lit up seeing all of the books that lined the shelves. "Wow!" She couldn't help saying in amazement. Her attention then turned to the sight of her journals and paintings lying on a table. As she went to take her items with a happy grin, Law flopped onto the nearby couch exhausted. "Thank you so much for protecting these. These mean a lot to me." Ash thanked the captain with the same sincere face she wore the last time she thanked him that one night.