Chapter 5: Calabash

Bai slumbers in her comfy bed, the ground begins to slowly shake, figures and books fall from shelves, and the constant banging snaps her awake, "HUH!? WHAT THE-" The shaking grows, and she huddles into her blanket. "EARTHQUAKE!" It stops. Bai slowly looks around, seeing her stuff on the floor, "NO! ALL MY PWECIOUS PWOSSESSIONS!" Bai sheds a few tears before checking the time. "9:01? 9:01!? I was meant to help Zhizhu set up!" Bai speeds through her room, changing into her usual fit, she looks to find her Scythe but it's nowhere to be seen.

Bai shrugs, "I guess the Bone Queen needed it today. Anyway, off to work!" Bai hops out of the window and jumps out running down the firewalk and into the store. She runs in to see the store empty, "ZHIZHU!" Zhizhu immediately greets Bai, "Bai He! Hello there!" Bai hugs her instantly, "I'M SORRY I'M LATE! I SLEPT AND THEN EARTHQUAKE AND PLEASE DON'T BE MAD!" Zhizhu pats her head, "Oh, why would I be mad?" Bai looks confused, "You gave me a whole lecture yesterday."

Zhizhu gives an overly formal laugh, "Oh, I said that?" "That doesn't sound like Zhizhu!" Lin slides next to her, Bai looks back and forth at the two, "Um... alrighty. Well, sadly, I don't have my Scythe today, so no box carry work for me, please." Lin laughs, "Of course, you haven't had your Scythe for weeks!" Bai freezes, "I haven't!? How long did I sleep for!?" Zhizhu sighs, "Yes, don't you remember? You trapped the entire Monkey family beneath it." Lin nudges her, "I swear, you work her too hard."

"Aha! That's it! You got the day off, Bai!" Bai's concern shifts into immediate joy, speeding out of the store. "YEAH! DAY OFF!" She speeds across the city, and everything she came across only increased her joy. Weirdly, a crowd kept following her, shouting "PERFECT!" at everything she did. At first, it was cute but she instantly grew annoyed. "Ah, free cheese tea." She looks behind her, with no crowd in sight. She does a heavy sigh, and the crowd instantly pops up, "PERFECT!" She chucks another cheese tea at the crowd, "I GET IT! STOP!"

The tea flies through the crowd, the ground shakes with the crowd glitching out of view. Bai silently freaks out, she tosses her tea, which glitches out and vanishes, "What the- What's happening!?" Bai racks her brain, thinking of everything, "Ok, earthquakes, annoying crowd, Zhizhu didn't fire me, Lin and Zhizhu getting along... wait- Lin nudged Zhizhu! And she allowed it! She hates when he does that!" Bai runs away from the glitchy tea stall, "I NEED TO FIND RED!" Bai coincidentally bumps into Red, "Hello, Bai He!"

"RED! Oh, I'm so glad to see you! Something's wrong, I-" Bai is immediately pulled into an odd embrace, "I am glad to see you too, Bai He. It's been so long!" Bai gently pulls away to get some air, "Ok... Anyway! Red, have you seen Chang'e? I think some funky bone business is involved." Red nervously laughs, "Oh, well..." She pulls out her phone, "Oh! Would you look at that? I'm late for... a date! See you later!" Red tries walking off but Bai follows, "What do you mean, 'date'!? We both don't date!"

"O-Oh, um, after the Monkey King business, I got asked out by..." Red freezes as if they were thinking of something on the spot. "Oh, their kid asked me out! Yeah, it was him!" Bai's jaw drops, "But- YOU HATED MK! WHY ARE YOU DATING SOMEONE YOU HATE!?" Red flinches, "People change, Bai He. MK helped us in the end. Do you not remember?" Bai grows anxious, "No. That's what I needed to talk about! You're all saying I beat the Monkey King but I don't even remember! And now everything is all..." "PERFECT!?"

"GET OUT! ALL OF YOU!" Bai turns back to the crowd, who vanish instantly. Bai growls, "What's next!? The Bone Queen's my mum!?" Red watches Bai in shock, "Uh, Bai He, I- Dōu wánměi!" Red covers their mouth, and their body glitches and freeze. Bai turns back to Red, noticing him frozen in place, "Red?" The ground shakes once more, Bai falls back. "Another earthquake!? What is happening!?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Give me that!" A young, dark green-haired, woman knocks a mini man onto the floor while holding a pale gourd. "Great, now the kid's suspicious!" The mini man stands and huffs, "Wǒ zhǐshì xiǎng bāngmáng." "Well, your 'help' might've got us busted! And what were you thinking!? Making Hai'er's reincarnate date Wukong's son!? *Sigh* Typical Tudi move." Tudi lets out an angry squeak, "Nà shì nǐ de zhǔyì!" The lady scoffs, "My idea!? Ha! I would never..." She pulls papers with hearts off a corkboard, "Anyway. Let's go over the plan, shall we?"