Chapter Two: Reunion to the future

The carriage was advancing through the dark streets of London. Some street lamps were glowing dimly, lighting the uninviting path to the Lister's mansion. The carriages' wheels were clanking against the stone paved floor. Rosemary's head was tilting against its windows, the trip had been long and the young girl had finally found some sleep. Unfortunately for her, the carriage was moving too much and she woke up. Opening her eyes felt like a burden as her eyelids seemed so heavy. To make things even more complicated her whole body was hurting due to her more than ten hours journey and her uncomfortable gown. She let out an annoyed breath, all of these gowns were torture instruments, she missed her young and innocent time when she was climbing trees wearing pants, she was a little girl back then, nobody minded, people were even amused of seeing her like that.

Finally the carriage stopped in front of her godfather's mansion. The old building seemed to be guarding the streets of London as an old sentinel.The bricks were lit by a full moonlight, and the garden seemed quite menacing at such a time. The driver opened Rosemary's door and a butler accompanied her inside. She was to wait in the hall until her godfather was warned of her arrival. In the meantime she took a look at all the paintings displayed on the dark green walls. A gigantic painting of the Lister spouses was hanging there. Miniatures of their daughter and Rosy were also hanging on these walls. The young lady smiled, she remembered their daughter Elizabeth very well, it had been a few years since she had seen her, she was now married to a count and she had a child on the way that was waiting to meet its older brother. Rosy had always gotten along well with Elizabeth, she was her only best friend in her eyes, but the years had separated them. The now countess had gotten married when she was seventeen, Rosemary was sixteen back then, but when Rosy took the decision of staying in the Kent cottage, both of them started sending letters to one another, however, their connection became more rare but still appreciated.Considering all of that, Rosemary then took the decision to ask her godfather for permission to invite Elizabeth and her husband over for some time.

A few minutes later, her godfather's footman came to get her and helped her to Lord Lister's study. As she walked in, she smiled, her Godfather walked toward her and held her in his arms. HE brushed her cheek with his hand, contemplating what her niece had become since the last time he had seen her.

"Oh my dear Rosy, it has been so long, I'm so glad I'm finally seeing you!" he said to his ward, relieved.

" Thank you godfather, it's good to be here, I've missed you too"

"I must admit, my dear, I was worried about you , it's been two years that you are living in our cottage. It is a lonely life that you've chosen." he said worryingly.

"You know how much I love the quietness of the countryside. Solitude is not a burden, it is a chance. I would not trade my actual life for anything else." Rosy told, hoping that Lord Lister would understand that she did not want to be wed.

" I understand that, and I'm sorry I called you so urgently in London, but I expect you to meet Lord Fitzgerald tomorrow night. He was really eager to see you."

"Tomorrow night? So soon?" She asked surprised.

"Yes, if your suitor agrees it will be of best interest if you can get married as soon as possible. You're twenty-two already." he stated.

"I understand," She answered, her teeth squished together. She then relaxed a bit and continued "If you think this is the best for me, then I trust you my dear Godfather."

Rosemary sank deeper in her seat, understanding her godfather's worries. She felt a sense of resignation. What was she going to do, unmarried in such a society? Because this conversation was obviously closed, she decided it was a good time to ask for Elizabeth's presence.