the newbie joins twitter!!

(a small a/n: this will be my first story in a long time! So please let me know if you see any mistakes in the character or in my writing!)

(This will start in Eugene's POV!)

After being saved by some mysterious man and almost getting killed by some weird goop monsters; I was half convinced I was going insane. I truly thought I was hallucinating and I needed to get back on my meds.

But, maybe it was because of the lack of sleep. People hallucinate when they haven't slept, right? I just need a good night's rest and these weird ghost people will all just disappear..

When I got home from school that day, the first thing I did was flop onto my bed. Not very graceful, but who cares?

I slip under my white sheets, desperate to sleep and get rid of these concerning hallucinations. I try to sleep, but I keep squirming and it all feels too itchy and uncomfortable. Maybe it's my position, maybe that's why I can't sleep.

Not my nightmares, definitely not those.

I squeeze my eyes closed, I see myself in the mirror. My eyes shoot open. My breaths come out short and ragged. I don't think I wanna sleep anymore.

But it seems I didn't have much of a choice, because before I had realized, I blacked out.

I hear a familiar voice.

"Wake up, newbie!"

"H-Huh!?" I yelp, my eyes wide with surprise and a small bit of fear.

It's River, one of the ghosts I've been trying to avoid since yesterday. They did say they'd come see me in my dreams, but I never fell asleep. Nor did I feel tired in the slightest.

I realize that River isn't the only ghost present. Hayden's there too. As well as Boss, the scariest ghost out of all of them. I was scared of him, but I was also grateful in a sense. He was the one who saved me after all.

"Ahaha, look how cute our Newbie is when he wakes up!" River interrupts my thoughts with her voice. My cheeks turn pink at being referred to as 'cute.'

"Isn't our Newbie adorable?" Hayden speaks up. It always concerned me how young Hayden was, especially since he was a ghost. And in order to be a ghost he had to..

"Isn't that so, Boss?" River teases. "You don't think Eugene's cute?"

"Stop with the nonsense." Boss says in his usual stern tone. His voice kinda scared me, it was always so commanding and strict.

River's expression turns from playful to bored in a second.

"Hmph, how dull." River chides, clearly annoyed by Boss's response.

Confusion washes over my face as I realize I never fell asleep. So it didn't exactly make sense on how I saw them if I wasn't sleeping.

Boss glances down at me and notices my confused expression.

"You're losing the kid." He scolds.

"I- I'm fine!" I blurt out. I blush in embarrassment at my sudden outburst. I shake it off quickly.

"A-Anyways, what happened..?" I ask timidly.

"What do you mean? We waited until you fell asleep." River says.

"B-but I didn't feel sleepy at all!" I stutter nervously.

"Nah, you fell asleep immediately." River smirks. Hayden looks puzzled.

"What do you mean?" Hayden asks. "River smacked Eugene in the head and made him leave his body!"

Hayden grins childishly. "Hayden saw everything!"

River covers Hayden's mouth quickly and shushes him nervously. "Ahaha, shush Hayden!"

River smacked me on the head?! It doesn't hurt, but still!

"Get out, River. You are distracting.." Boss demands, giving her a light smack on the wrist with his fan. "We are changing teams anyways."

River groans. "Ugh, fine! I'll go with Joan today.." She waves at us goodbye. "Go have fun, kids!"

In a flash, River jumps out the window and disappears.

"Huh? Why is River going with Joan today? I always go with River!" Hayden pouts.

Boss's tone softens. "It's because today you're going with Eugene."

"But this kid doesn't know anything!" He whines.

"Then you can teach him, now go." Boss scolds. Hayden huffs and sighs.

"Come on Newbie.."

(timeskip cause why not, end of chapter 2.)

For some reason, when I returned to the office, I got praised. It was surprising, yet it was sort of nice.

Apparently my classmate Luke was suffering due to the work of a ghost. The only thing I did was help him out a bit, but it made me feel happy. I think I did an okay job today.

"Say Eugene, do you have a twitter?" River asks.

"A-a Twitter? N-no, why?" I stutter out. River gasps.

"How do you not- nevermind! Give me your phone!" River shouts.

"Uh, s-sure!" I hand her my phone nervously.

She starts to tap on my phone furiously. I start to worry that my phone screen might break.

In a matter of minutes, she hands me back my phone, luckily with no cracks.

"T-thanks.." I say softly.

"We have no time for this. Eugene, you need to get to sleep." Boss nags.

"Y-yes." I comply obediently.

Before I knew it, I was back in my room. I held my phone in my hands, staring at the new app on my phone.

I click on it.

( a/n: this is supposed to be a short intro for what's to come

( a/n: this is supposed to be a short intro for what's to come. Feel free to comment on stuff you want added or changed! Depending on how much attention this gets, I'll continue the series. From now on, most of the chapters will just be goofy tweets and threads. )