4.Gym

Zoya
September 23

I rolled up my sweatpants and pulled my socks up, only to roll them back down. Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see Mika, the blue-eyed troublemaker. He was about to say something but I interrupted.

"Don't touch me,  If you're searching for Trinity, she skipped class," I stated firmly, not appreciating his touch at all.

"I've already found what I was looking for," he replied with a mischievous smirk.

"That would imply I'm lost, and trust me, I'm not lost. There's no need to find me," I retorted, looking up at him before casually taking my basketball from his hand and walking back to the hoop.

"Care to play a game, my little Joya Zoya ?" he teased. Using the Nickname my dad and brothers would call me by.

"No thanks and no one calls me that anymore. I'm not a child even if my hijab takes 3 years off. So please, spare me," I responded, furrowing my brows. I couldn't help but shiver, sensing his overconfidence.

He frowned as I took a shot, but my aim was off, resulting in a complete airball.

"Unless... you're willing to put some money on it, you European conqueror," I teased, playfully referencing his privileged background. We used to mock his "white boyness."

"Would that make you my conquest?" he retorted, raising an eyebrow.

"Eww, no. I have no interest in being anyone's conquest. Don't even entertain the thought. But if you happen to know any Muslim guys or have Muslim friends looking for a spouse, feel free to mention me," I quipped, sarcastically implying that he wasn't suitable.

"Not Muslim, Zoya," he emphasized the "z" in my name, as if trying to provoke a reaction. It struck me as odd how comfortable he felt around me. He reminded me of the good old days. Generally, I maintain a more formal demeanor around Muslims as a personal preference.

Amir called me over, he was a fellow Muslim. He was secretly dating someone his parents didn't approve of.  Him and Thomas were playing catch.
I grew up playing football with my brothers and Ty, so this was where I shined. I was a better thrower than most guys, including Ty, before he got all buff. Being the show-off I aspired to be, since I hardly got to prove myself worthy in other areas, this was my time to shine.

"Bye," I said, rolling the basketball back toward Mika, and walked away.

Thomas, my older brother's friend, embodied the typical frat boy persona. He too had a thing for Tri, but he got rejected. Speaking of Trinity, she wanted to throw Alice a surprise birthday party, but Thomas was hosting a party that same weekend. Tri wanted to merge the parties, so she asked me to talk to him, but I never got the chance.

"Zoya, I remembered deodorant today. Wanna smell me?" Thomas said, jokingly.

"No, I don't want to smell you," I replied, looking at him in disgust. This guy had some stuff he just looked it. We waited for Amir to toss the football to our side.
"It's Alice's birthday this weekend. I heard you were throwing a party." I said. I tried to throw subtle hints,
But Amir finally threw the ball back, it landed before reaching us, causing Thomas to walk over to it.

There went the conversation.

"You suck!" Amir shouted.

"DICK!" Mika exclaimed as he approached Thomas with the football.

I looked over at the two of them, just a couple of feet away from me, laughing it off. I bit the inside of my mouth, feeling a mix of annoyance and disappointment. Mika had to ruin it, and I didn't even recall them being friends.

I mentally replayed my beautiful throw twice now. I decided to take the ball away from Mika, who didn't seem to care.

Amir then shouted, "It's Hijabi Brady's turn!" The words echoed loudly, embarrassing me. Of course, I wanted people to recognize my throwing skills, but not in a cocky way. I wanted them to think, "Wow, she can throw for a girl." But Amir had gotten everyone's attention.

I aligned my fingers against the stripes of the ball. "Go deep!" I screamed, embracing the opportunity to put on a show. Amir didn't move so I placed myself further back. I threw a beautiful spiral as if my life depended on it, the ball passing Amir.

"I said DEEP!" I exclaimed, frustrated. Amir stomped back to get the ball.

"SHOW OFF!" the coach yelled, making his rounds to grade the participants in any physical activities. We all found the coach attractive. He wasn't hot, but he had that goofy kind of charm and always looked like he was ready to join in the game. He wore a headband every day, and I wore a headscarf. We were a match made in heaven, or at least in the football field. He even called baba to discuss my potential, as if he was a potential I mean come on he has baba's number and asks about me.

Amir returned with the ball, and a small circle formed around Mika and Thomas, just a few feet away from me. I decided to approach them. I still needed to talk to Thomas about Alice and Trinity's plan.
"You really let a girl out-throw you" Thomas smacked the football down from Amir's hands.
"She's not a girl,  she's a product of Adam and Tyrese shut up."
Offense taken....
"Amir your a product suck and ass" Thomas laughed his way through the sentence. "This is why your aren't invited."

"You always have men arguing about you. Some things never change. Harith said you fought with your dad last night and earlier today you fought with Ty, What was that heated argument even about?" Mika spoke to me before I had the chance to chime in.
Amir looked at us, clearly confused. "You know them?"
. "Knew. He knew us," I corrected, turning to face Mika.
"I know the Ismail's, we're friends especially my new pal Harith. And I know I'm coming around tomorrow to pick ya up." Mika continued.

"And be stuck with the two most arrogant boys no thank-you we can walk our 9 blocks to school every morning" I said hoping to get back to the party topic.

"I know it's better then being stuck with your bodyguard." Mika said.

"If you knew us, you would have known not to text Trinity like that. You would know that was Ty's number, and you would know the argument was because Tyrese thinks you love me. So he's more like a therapist than a bodyguard," I retorted, trying to make my point clear.

"Love you? Not yet, but wait till you get to know me. I'm a catch," Mika interrupted with a smirk, his flirty demeanor evident.

"Well, it's a good thing my specialty is THROWING," I said, emphasizing the word, feeling a mix of frustration and hidden emotions.