Chapter One: Past Scars

AN: To everyone who knows my time zone, ignore when this was published

TW: Errrr, past scars (woah roll the credits)??? Y'all this one is pretty wholesome

     Biffle inhaled the crisp, clean air of the night. Almost as soon as he did, he burst into a coughing fit, the old remnants of smoke snagging in his lungs. As he collected himself, his scars began to ache with the exertion from coughing.

     He inwardly groaned. Stupid dragon.

     A month had passed since he'd been resurrected. His wounds had healed as much as they could, but nasty scars marred his flesh. Sigils still had his monocle, which was slightly annoying, but he figured he'd just let his friend keep it.

     Peace had settled once Biffle had stopped Jerome from trying to maul Henwy. And Sigils from trying to hit him upside the head with an axe.

     Needless to say, not everyone was pleased with Henwy's revival. It didn't help that the group's past seemed more integrated in their lives than expected. Henwy's faults would forever plague him in the form of reptilian eyes and large, leathery wings. Sigils had taken to his old alias, sprouting bat wings and fangs. Biffle's hands had turned to claws as his hearing sharpened once more. Likewise, Alxton had gone back to his vampiric roots.

     Some of the campers had never returned from their eternal rest. The sorcerers, Frost, Florian, and Rafessor, along with Gold and Karan, never awoke. Lookumz and Ambrew were included, the latter being much to Alxton's disappointment.

     Loaf was also nowhere to be found, but after the short recount that Henwy had shared with Biffle, he was glad. According to the hybrid, the man had been responsible for the downfall of their old home. After opening a dimensional rift and unleashing creatures Henwy had called 'The Nightmares', the last surviving members had fallen one by one.

     Biffle knew Sigils didn't trust the man one bit, but no one was enough of a fool to not believe his story. The man was scarred head to toe in slash marks only the likes of a monster could create.

     Frankly, even though Henwy had caused all of them so much strife, Biffle was inclined to forgive him. Or, at least give him a second chance. Or was this a third chance? Nevertheless, he seemed more like the old Henwy. His friend, not the dictator whose greed had blinded him.

     Right now, however, the peace was faltering. Alxton had sent him an urgent letter describing how his prized establishment, the bank, had been robbed. Biffle was the self-acclaimed sheriff and the best detective in camp, though when boasting he neglected to admit that he was the only detective in camp. He began to climb the stairs leading to Alxton's bank, glancing down the winding hill in case he spotted anything suspicious.

     He turned the sleek golden handle and opened the door, immediately catching the gaze of a distraught fox hybrid.

     "Biffle!" Alxton cried, rushing over to the detective, "Someone robbed the bank!"

     After a quick recounting of what the bank owner had discovered upon entering the establishment, Biffle was led to the back where the vault was held. The area looked untouched, but upon closer inspection, the barrels that once held valuables, particularly diamonds, had been taken.

     Biffle narrowed his eyes, taking out his trusty book and quill. The vault was as pristine as always. The robber hadn't been in a hurry. They took their time. This had been calculated. He paced the interior, scanning the walls. If someone had planned this, surely there would be some clue.

     He opened Zud's barrel, immediately sighing. "The robber is stupid."

     Alxton, who was inspecting the wall across from him, flicked an ear. "Huh?"