Chapter 2

The next morning, you felt almost at max energy. Of course, these days it was kind of difficult to achieve max, but you assumed that with more time in the neighbourhood, you might be able to; it was kind of just wishful thinking, though.

Either way, you got ready again, this time with your brand-new work apron tucked away to throw on at the shop, and headed out.

Immediately upon approaching the bodega, things were different. Howdy wasn't at the door to greet you, instead standing at the counter with one of four hands over his mouth while the other three were crossed in front of him tightly like a knot.

You stepped closer to the door and knocked so as not to startle him, but he still jumped, all but scurrying over to the door to turn the lock. You hadn't assumed it was still locked, but good thing you knocked first.

He pulled the door open for you to walk inside, a stressed frown replacing the smile that was on his face just yesterday. Worry creased your brow, and you didn't even have a chance to ask him what was wrong before he locked the door behind you and walked over to a display of some sort in the fruit section.

Howdy's hands pressed against the sides of the display bin, and his frown deepened. "I should have let you lock up last night."

Your confusion grew until you read the small hand-lettered sign hanging off the bin: APPLES.

"Oh." It was all you could say, however pathetic. You were sure Howdy could guess who stole the apples, anyway, just as easily as you could. So, instead of stating the obvious, you asked, "Well, what's the protocol for stolen goods? Let's catch him!"

Howdy's head shot up, and he smiled at your enthusiasm, then crossed his arms to think. "Well, I don't think we have one, to be quite honest. There's not really a point--"

"Then let's make one!" Howdy paused at your outburst, looking at you quizzically. You shook your hands to rid your body of some of the energy building up inside. "I know it sounds weird, and I know how your payment system works, but it's still not very nice of anyone to come in and just take things, right?"

He sighed. "I suppose you're right..."

You smiled. "Great! Any ideas?"

"You've really got me thinking on the spot here, haven't you?" he asked, but his tone was playful. One hand went up to rub his chin while his four long legs took him to the front door. "Let me open the shop and think about it, all right?"

The morning was slow, leaving you and Howdy quite a lot of time to plan out your friendly neighbourhood escapade. Turned out Howdy hadn't come to the same conclusion as you and also wouldn't accept the accusatory tone you put on, no matter how much you reminded him that Wally has tried to steal apples right from under his red nose.

So, you settled for interrogating the entire neighbourhood, starting with the last puppet who had left the night before. Surely, Barnaby knew how tired Howdy had been, but you really didn't think he would take advantage of that just for Wally's sake.

Howdy set you on the task of said interrogations. You didn't even have to go far, as Barnaby was already on his way to the bodega for whatever reason. He stopped once he saw you, waving a big blue hand, and you waved back as you approached.

"Barnaby, just the dog I was looking for," you greeted, watching him sit on the ground so he was closer to your eye level.

"Oh, yeah? What is it?"

"I just have a question for you, is all," you continued, pulling a pad of paper from your pocket that Howdy had let you take. "Where were you last night after Howdy closed up?" No extra details; don't give him any reason to make up a story; it's just a question.