Into Your Arms

She's been trashing anything and everything that's come in her sight for the last hour. From the cushions on the floor, to the strings of marigold garlands hanging by the staircase, dismayed by the lack of interest and concern he's shown in her over the course of the last two weeks. His last three voice messages have apologized profusely, citing endless work commitments as an excuse, but this was the limit for Umeed. As someone who previously never had to fight for his attention, the lack thereof was proving to be exceedingly difficult.

"Umeed, tum apna ghussa inn phoolon par kyun utaar rahi ho? Maana ke Farjaad Bhai ki call nahi ayi magar isme inn pholoon ka kya kasoor"?

It's not Haya's line of questioning that stings her, it's the sharp reminder of his absence that ignites the annoyance in her once again. The very fact, that the promise he had made to her at their last dinner together well over two weeks ago, to be here at tonight's event and dedicate all his time to her and her only, was proving to be nothing but an empty lie. One that was making her deliberate whether or not she should aggressively flip over the tray of sweets she spots on the corner table, when she hears a blaring car horn which Umeed just knows is from his vehicle.

It doesn't take her seconds from there onwards to quicken her steps, as she rushes outside, only to be met solely by a very tall and beautiful looking Mimi, all dressed in green for tonight's Mehndi event and the sight of her driver in the front seat of Farjaad's car. Her face and heart both sink at this very obvious token. He had indeed broken his promise to her and chosen not to attend.

"Mimi, apne bhai se keh dena. Office main hi koi dhoond lein apne liye, balkay office se hi shaadi karlain".

She just blurts it out. Sad. Angry. Heartbroken. Her make-up's ready to smear, as a result of the very obvious frown lines decorated around her face, as she crosses her arms and leans against his car in protest. Mimi smiles at her act, knowing just how crazy her friend was about her brother, but not wanting to ever come in the midst of the crossfire between the two. She gives Umeed a warm side hug, as if trying to pacify her without letting more on, but Umeed's frown could be deciphered from the distance of Saturn tonight. She wasn't one to keep her emotions in check anyway, but right now she could think of at-least a couple of dozen sentences that she wanted to hurl at him, for him to feel at-least half as lovesick as she did in the current moment.

Umeed chooses to remain stationed against his car door as she hears Mimi complimenting her look, her head zoned out with all kinds of thoughts. Compliments that were meant to be coming from him in the first place. About her open hair, her eyes, her warm touch when she'd give him her hands, to show his initials marked in henna on both. Her index fingers stab at one another repeatedly, in despair of not knowing what more to do now that her evening was officially ruined. Far across, her anxious twitch is spotted by a set of eyes, she's oh so desperate to see but can't make out in the incoming crowd because she's lost focus. Farjaad in a maroon dress shirt, walking towards her, red roses in hand. His deep voice mutters an "excuse-me" to the group of young girls circling ahead, trying to get to his girl as fast as he possibly can, but there's far too many roadblocks along the way.

His protective instincts kick in, as he hastens his steps the minute he spots his driver turning the ignition on without the realization that two of the most important women in his life were still positioned with their backs against the car's frame. He could already predict what was to follow. Mimi's managed to move apart just in time for him to get there, but the gas pedal's swiftness isn't quite as forgiving for Umeed who already wasn't having the best night, and now had visibly almost been pushed to the ground all thanks to his driver's doing. Farjaad makes a mental note at this exact second, to hold a lengthy conversation with Amir on the irreparable damage his carelessness was about to inflict today, and to only and only be in the driver's seat himself when Umeed was around, because she was clearly never going to let him forget this one. Fortunately, his arms reach out just in time for Umeed to fall back hard against his build, her tiny palms clamping on to both his biceps, her eyes winced shut in expected pain as she lets out a shriek when his hands embrace her by the waist.