chapter 1 ~ y/n's pov

i was sitting on the boat with the rest of the pogues as i heard whispering coming from kiara and jj. i decide to ignore it because i'm having the time of my life. my older brother, john b, was sitting next to his girlfriend sarah who was my best friend since we were little. john b and i grew up as pogues but i broke some rules and hung out with sarah. making her feel welcome into our group made me happy but definitely not for the other pogues. kie, sarah and i were so close, we told each other everything. crushes, family issues, friends, drama, etc. kie told me and sarah she had a crush on pope and we were so happy for her. sarah always sat out on the crush gossip because obviously she was dating my brother and she couldn't have a crush. me on the other hand, it was complicated. i've always had a crush on jj, since we were little. me and jj were closer than i was to the girls. jj told me he had a crush on kiara one day and it broke my heart. lucky for me, i grew up doing theater acts with sarah. she secretly signed me up and paid for me and her to go to different acting camps because she knew i was broke. so i would act like i was happy for jj, although i wasn't. i was jealous. why wouldn't he like me? so when i saw and heard jj and kie whispering, my heart sank. we were zooming through the marsh on the boat. me and sarah's hair were flying into our faces. our smiles brightened the whole boat. everyone laughed, so did me and sarah. we held hands really tight to make sure if one of us fell, the other would go down too. that was our moto growing up. john b slowed down so we could catch our breath and tie our hair up. "y'all okay over there?" pope asked us. we both gave him a thumbs up at the same time and laughed. it was almost like we were twins. everyone asked us if we were related growing up because we looked similar and acted similar. that was the biggest compliment i got when i was younger, i never thought i looked pretty ever until this year. everyone started complementing me but i never liked all the attention to be on me. once we got to the dock john b carefully helped me and sarah off the boat. then he helped kie but walked away when the other boys got off. "very polite, jb." jj jokes. pope laughs and hops onto the dock. me and the girls already ran inside the chateau to grab watermelon from the fridge. kie cut up little squares for everyone to eat which was very kind of her. normally we would just smash the watermelon on the ground like animals then pick up a half and eat it from there. me and the girls sat on a bench outside near the house but the boys stayed inside. "so kie, how are you and pope?" sarah asks, trying to stay in the loop. "i mean, i think he likes me but at the same time i don't think he likes me in that way." she answers. "ooh goodie!!" i holler in a funny voice. they laugh and question it. "you know i'm basically a matchmaker, sarah taught me her ways. i manifested that john b liked sarah, i know who jj likes and i can ask pope who he likes!" i finish. sarah laughs and winks at me. "you would do that for me?" kie asks. "watch me." i say, getting up from the bench. i dash into the kitchen where the boys are. "pope can you come outside for a second?" i ask him quietly. "no funny business, y/n." john b says waving us off. jj looks confused and jealous. i get outside and slyly wink at the girls and kie blushes and smiles big. "so pope. i have a very important question to ask you and you have to be completely with me. you can trust me, we're best friends." i state, smiling. "hit me." "okay. is there a female pogue that you might like?" i ask. "maybe." he replies, looking over at the other girls. "it's kie isn't it." i ask. "how'd-" "you made it pretty obvious pope. you looked over at the bench where she's sitting." "sarah's sitting there too though." "pope, P4L." "fine, you've got me. but DO NOT tell her." "your secrets safe with me." i say, reaching my right hand out and my left hand behind my back. crossing my fingers, i shake his hand. we do the pogue handshake and he goes inside. i run straight to kiara and tell her, obviously. he smirks and sarah high gives me.