Chapter 25 - Dead or Alive

You would think that when your brother and friend both die at sea that you might be shown some sort of compassion or patience by those within your school. We, however, felt like the opposite was occurring. We had to make an immediate return to school with no help at all. We didn't even have a school therapist.

We all rode to school together, Kiara and Pope in the front with JJ and I in the back. I was extremely happy when JJ slid out a flask from his pocket, waving it around to catch my eye. On the ride, we both took turns with the flask filled to the brim with alcohol. As I walked out around the back of the car, I noticed JJ hiding behind the car door as he took another swig.

"You can't have more than me!" I complained. "You took that from my house."

JJ countered, "It's my flask."

"Hey, chill out," Kiara stated as she watched us both drink at seven in the morning.

"If I black out, just don't remind me," JJ stated, causing me to laugh.

I let out a chuckle, "For real, I don't want to remember today at all. We should have brought some whiskey."

"That's not funny," Kiara deadpanned.

JJ stuffed the flask in his backpack as he turned around. We began to walk towards the building, they noticed every pair of eyes staring back at them as if they were part of a zoo exhibit. Mumblings of how people weren't sure that they'd show up among others saying that they had something to do with the killing of the sheriff all blended together. Everything instantly felt real again as we walked towards the school memorial for John B.

"I think I could use another sip," I said as I looked around at everyone.

"I feel like people are staring at us," Kiara said as she looked around.

"Oh yeah," agreed JJ. Nobody was trying to hide it.

"Guys, I can't be late," stated Pope as he began to walk away. This was normal behavior for the boy, who was set on getting his life back on track.

"Hey. Hey. We gotta stick together," Kiara rushed up towards him, holding out her hand. The boy hesitantly took it.

"Stick together. Yeah," JJ mumbled, stepping forward. Kiara wrapped her arm around JJ's bicep and JJ held out his hand for me as we began to walk into the school.

"Avery!" I heard my name being called out as I walked towards my locker. The boy who was assigned the locker next to me, Thomas, waved me over.

"I'll be right back," I said to JJ as I walked away from him, not waiting to hear his response. "Hey, Thomas."
"Avery, hey. How are you?" He asked me.

I sighed, "I'm doin' alright."
"Listen," the boy said. "I'm sorry to hear about your brother. If you need anything at all I just wanted to let you know that I'm here for you."

I smiled a bit, "Thank you. I appreciate it."

I began to step backwards but the boy continued talking. "I mean it. I'm always here if you need to talk. I could even give you my number... if you wanted."

He studied my face as I responded, "Uh, yeah. Sure. Just add yourself to my contacts and I'll text you." I handed the boy my phone and he happily added his number.

"Oh, hey Thomas," I heard a voice from behind me say. I turned to see JJ leaning back on my locker and smirking towards the two of us, his chest nearly touching my back as he avoided my eyes. I mentally rolled my eyes at his actions.

"Hey JJ," the boy nodded towards JJ nervously, and he returned it.

"We're going to be late for class, Avery," the boy spoke.